Part I: General surgical principles
1. Principles of surgical asepsis
2. Sterilization and disinfection
3. Surgical facilities, equipment, and personnel
4. Care and maintenance of the surgical environment
5. Preoperative and Intraoperative Care of the Surgical Patient
6. Preparation of the operative site
7. Preparation of the surgical team
8. Surgical instrumentation
9. Biomaterials, suturing and hemostasis
10. Surgical infections and antibiotic selection
11. Postoperative care of the surgical patient
12. Fundamentals of physical rehabilitation
13. Perioperative Multimodal Analgesic Therapy
14. Principles of minimally invasive surgery
Part II: Soft tissue surgery
15. Surgery of the integumentary system
16. Surgery of the eye
17. Surgery of the ear
18. Surgery of the abdominal cavity
19. Surgery of the digestive system
20. Surgery of the liver
21. Surgery of the extrahepatic biliary system
22. Surgery of the endocrine system
23. Surgery of the hemolymphatic system
24. Surgery of the kidney and ureter
25. Surgery of the bladder and urethra
26. Surgery of the reproductive and genital systems
27. Surgery of the cardiovascular system
28. Surgery of the upper respiratory system
29. Surgery of the lower respiratory system: lungs and thoracic wall
30. Surgery of the lower respiratory system: pleural cavity and diaphragm
Part III: Orthopedics
31. Fundamentals of orthopedic surgery and Fracture Management
32. Management of specific fractures
33. Diseases of the joints
34. Management of muscle and tendon injury or disease
35. Other diseases of bones and joints
Part IV: Neurosurgery
36. Fundamentals of neurosurgery
37. Surgery of the br
The 3rd edition of this classic textbook continues to serve as a one-stop resource for authoritative information on all aspects of small animal surgery. Coverage includes basic procedures such as spays, castrations, and declaws, as well as more advanced surgeries that might be referred to specialists such as craniotomy, ventral slots, and lung lobectomy. Discussions of general surgical procedures include sterile technique, surgical instrumentation, suturing, preoperative care, and antibiotic use. Key sections provide clinically relevant coverage of soft tissue surgery, orthopedic surgery, and neurosurgery.
- Over 1500 full color illustrations provide exceptionally clear representations of anatomy and currently accepted surgical techniques, including approaches and closure.
- Over 600 full color photographs and radiographs offer clear images of specific disorders, diseases, and procedures.
- Information on the most efficient and cost-saving sterilization techniques including scrubless and waterless preparation solutions.
- General considerations and clinically relevant pathophysiology sections provide practical information for case management.
- Step-by-step instructions for surgical techniques are presented in italicized blue type for quick and easy reference.
- Special icons identify advanced procedures that should be referred to an experienced surgeon or specialist.
- Color-coded tables and boxes call attention to specific data, offering at-a-glance access to key information such as drug dosages, clinical signs, and analgesic protocols.
- Anesthesia Protocols provide quick and easy access to recommendations for anesthetizing animals with particular diseases or disorders.
- eBook ISBN:
Department of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX