Emphasizing evidence-based therapy for critically ill or injured dogs and cats, Small Animal Critical Care Medicine, 2nd Edition puts diagnostic and management strategies for common disorders at your fingertips. It covers critical care medical therapy, monitoring, and prognosis — from triage and stabilization through the entire course of acute medical crisis and intensive care treatment. To make therapeutic decisions easier, clear guidelines address underlying clinical findings, pathophysiology, outpatient follow-up, and long-term care. From lead editors Deborah Silverstein and Kate Hopper, along with a Who’s Who of experts from the veterinary emergency and critical care world, this comprehensive reference helps you provide the highest standard of care for ICU patients.
- Over 200 concise chapters are thoroughly updated to cover all of the clinical areas needed for evaluating, diagnosing, managing, and monitoring a critical veterinary patient.
- More than 150 recognized experts offer in-depth, authoritative guidance on emergency and critical care clinical situations from a variety of perspectives.
- A problem-based approach focuses on clinically relevant details.
- Practical, user-friendly format makes reference quick and easy with summary tables, boxes highlighting key points, illustrations, and algorithmic approaches to diagnosis and management.
- Hundreds of full-color illustrations depict various emergency procedures such as chest tube placement.
- Appendices offer quick access to the most often needed calculations, conversion tables, continuous rate infusion determinations, reference ranges, and more.
Key Critical Care Concepts
1. Evaluation and Triage of the Critically Ill Patient
2. Physical Examination and Daily Assessment of the Critically Ill Patient
3. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
4. Post-Cardiac Arrest Care
6. Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome NEW!
7. Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome NEW!
10. Hyperthermia and Fever
11. Interstitial Edema
12. Patient Suffering in the Intensive Care Unit
13. Illness Severity Scores in Veterinary Medicine
14. Oxygen Therapy
17. Upper Airway Disease
18. Brachycephalic Syndrome
19. Tracheal Trauma
20. Allergic Airway Disease in Dogs and Cats and Feline Bronchopulmonary Disease
21. Pulmonary Edema
23. Aspiration Pnuemonitis and Pneumonia
24. Acute Lung Injury and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
25. Pulmonary Contusions and Hemorrhage
26. Pulmonary Thromboembolism
27. Chest Wall Disease
28. Pleural Space Disease
29. Non-Respiratory Look-Alikes
30. Basic Mechanical Ventilation
31. Advanced Mechanical Ventilation
32. Jet Ventilation
33. Ventilator Waveforms
34. Care of the Ventilator Patient
35. Discontinuing Mechanical Ventilation
36. Ventilator Induced Lung Injury
37. Ventilator Associated Pneumonia
38. Mechanisms of Heart Failure
39. Cardiogenic Shock
40. Ventricular Failure and Myocardial Infarction
41. Feline Cardiomyopathy
42. Canine Cardiomyopathy
43. Valvular Heart Disease
44. Myocardial Contusion
45. Pericardial Diseases
46. Bradyarrhythmias and Conduction Disturbances
47. Supraventricular Tachyarrhythmias
48. Ventricular Tachyarrhythmias
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2015
- 15th July 2014
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Assistant Professor (Critical Care), Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, PA, USA
Assistant Professor, Department of Surgical & Radiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA