- Concise discussions address laboratory approaches to various disorders, possible conclusions from various test results, artifacts and errors in diagnoses, and interpretations leading to various diagnoses.
- Hundreds of tables, boxes, algorithms, and key points offer at-a-glance information including cautions, common pitfalls, and helpful "pearls," and lead to proper differential and clinical diagnostic decision making.
- Note boxes identify key considerations in correlating clinical signs with test data for accurate diagnoses, highlight safety precautions, and offer helpful tips for sample preparation and interpretation.
- Chapters on laboratory diagnostic toxicology and therapeutic drug monitoring help in handling potentially fatal poisonings and other special situations.
- Expert editors and contributors provide clinical knowledge and successful diagnostic problem-solving solutions.
- A practical appendix lists referral laboratories that may be contacted for certain diseases, and reference values with the normal or expected range for coagulation, hematology, and more.
1. General Laboratory Concepts
2. The Complete Blood Count, Bone Marrow Examination and Blood Banking: General Comments and Selected Techniques
3. Erythrocyte Disorders
4. Leukocyte Disorders
5. Hemostatic Abnormalities
6. Electrolyte and Acid-Base Disorders
7. Urinary Disorders
8. Endocrine, Metabolic, and Lipid Disorders
9. Gastrointestinal, Pancreatic, and Hepatic Disorders
10. Fluid Accumulation Disorders
11. Respiratory and Cardiac Disorders
12. Immunologic and Plasma Protein Disorders
13. Reproductive Disorders
14. Neurologic Disorders
15. Microbiology and Infectious Disease
16. Cytology of Inflammatory or Neoplastic Masses
17. Laboratory Diagnostic Toxicology
18. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
Appendix I: Listing of Select Referral and Commercial Laboratories
Appendix II: Reference Values