This title is directed primarily towards health care professionals outside of the United States. This book presents a holistic approach to the complete, long-term, day-to-day care of patients disabled by neurological conditions, emphasizing practices that promote physical well-being and minimize secondary complications. It focuses on physical management within the context of the lifestyle of the disabled person and primary caregiver. In addition, it highlights the difficulties commonly encountered when implementing a physical management regime, and discusses the importance of compromise.
- The complete physical management and day-to-day care is described in a practical and applicable way.
- Best practices are presented in relation to caring for a person with profound impairment and residual disability.
- Holistic and detailed long-term physical management strategies are described, related to the more severe and complex neurological conditions.
- Real-life examples help readers understand the applications of theory in practice.
- Case studies strengthen readers' critical thinking and decision making skills.
- Social considerations and the importance of therapeutic leisure activities are included.
3. Development of Secondary Complications
4. Assessment and Outcome Measures
5. Body Structure and Mechanisms of Control
6. Building a Stable Posture
7. Customized Support
8. The Complete Physical Management Regime
9. Therapeutic Leisure Activities
10. Complementary Interventions
11. The Carer’s Perspective
12. The Art of Compromise
13. The Evidence for Management
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2007
- 29th December 2006
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.