Seidel's Guide to Physical Examination 9th Edition offers a uniquely interprofessional, patient-centered, lifespan approach to physical examination and health assessment. This new edition features an increased focus on patient safety, clinical reasoning, and evidence-based practice, along with an emphasis on the development of good communication skills and effective hands-on examination techniques. Each core chapter is organized into four sections – Anatomy and Physiology, Review of Related History, Examination and Findings, and Abnormalities – with lifespan content integrated into each area. Written by an author team comprised of advance practice nurses and physicians with specialties in the care of adults, older adults, and children, this one-of-a-kind textbook addresses health assessment and physical examination for a wide variety of disciplines.
- UNIQUE! Interprofessional, interdisciplinary approach, written by two advanced practice nurses and three physicians, with expertise in both pediatric and adult-geriatric health.
- UPDATED! Infectious outbreak content addresses the growing problem of global infectious disease outbreaks such as Zika and Ebola and the need for infection precautions.
- UNIQUE! Cross-references to Dains et al:Advanced Health Assessment & Clinical Diagnosis in Primary Care help you take "the next step" in your clinical reasoning abilities and provides a more seamless user experience.
- UNIQUE! Compassionate, patient-centered approach emphasizes developing good communication skills, use of effective hands-on examination techniques, and reliance on clinical reasoning and clinical decision-making.
- Integrated lifespan content includes separate sections in each chapter on Infants and Children, Adolescents, Pregnant Women, and Older Adults.
1. The History and Interviewing Process
2. Cultural Competency
3. Examination Techniques and Equipment
4. Clinical Reasoning
6. Vital Signs and Pain Assessment
7. Mental Status
8. Growth, Measurement, and Nutrition
9. Skin, Hair, and Nails
10. Lymphatic System
11. Head and Neck
13. Ears, Nose, and Throat
14. Chest and Lungs
16. Blood Vessels
17. Breasts and Axillae
19. Female Genitalia
20. Male Genitalia
21. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
22. Musculoskeletal System
23. Neurologic System
24. Sports Participation Evaluation
25. Putting It All Together
26. Emergency or Life-Threatening Situations
Appendix A: Height/Weight Growth Charts
Appendix B: Pediatric Blood Pressure Tables
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2019
- 26th January 2018
- Hardcover ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Trauma Systems Consultant, American College of Surgeons, Gaithersburg, MD
Associate Professor, Department of Nursing, The University of Texas; The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
Professor of Medicine, Chief Physician and Dean for Clinical Affairs, and Director of the Faculty Practice Plan, The University of Chicago Medicine, Chicago, IL
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Medical Director, Harriet Lane Clinic, Division of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.