Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Sea Turtle Research and Conservation: Lessons From Working in the Field is a comprehensive
reference of experiences with sea turtle species from global experts. This book looks at the human side
of protecting and studying these unique animals around the world, as well as the challenges involved,
such as cultural differences and conducting research in remote locations.
Led by a renowned expert in sea turtle conservation, this book addresses the largest issues the sea
turtle species are facing currently. Nearly all species of sea turtles are endangered due to illegal hunting,
getting caught in fishing gear, climate change, and more. Chapters in this book range from the use
of cutting-edge technology to learn more about this elusive reptile, to working with communities
with long histories of sea turtle trade and consumption. It provides readers with firsthand accounts
of sea turtle conservation efforts from conservationists based around the world and offers important
suggestions and solutions for ensuring the future of these sea turtle species. Sea Turtle Research
and Conservation: Lessons From Working in the Field is a valuable resource for field biologists, marine
conservationists, and policymakers, especially those connected with marine conservations, wildlife
protection, and sustainable development
- Offers examples of groundbreaking technology to conduct noninvasive sea turtle research
- Written by global experts working in the field to study and protect sea turtle species
- Includes human-to-human case studies and advice for collaborating with cultures and communities to save these endangered animals
Field biologists, conservationists, marine biologists, herpetologists
Working With Local Communities
1. Sustainable Use of Sea Turtles Benefiting The Local Community in Rekawa Sanctuary, Sri Lanka
2. San Pancho Turtle Team
Sea Turtle Field Research
3. Lessons From Three decades of Hawksbill Metal Tagging From Campeche, Mexico
4. Sea Turtle Population Health Assessments
5. Applications of Photo Identification in Sea Turtle Studies
6. Drones for Turtles
7. The Challenges of Maintaining A Hatchery in Rural Costa Rica
Plastic & Sea Turtles
8. Green Phenix: Turning Waste Into Profit In Curacao
9. Plastics vs. Turtles: An overview of the Uruguayan Case
Tourism and Sea Turtles
10. Working with the Tourism Industry to Support Conservation
11. The Evolution of the Spotters Program at Tortuguero National Park, Costa Rica
12. Working With Communities to Manage Nesting Beach
The Trade In Sea Turtle Products
13. Illegal Take, Trade and Use of Sea Turtles in the South-West Indian Ocean
14. Busting Bekko: The Nexus Between Local and International Advocacy to End Japan’s Import of Tortoiseshell
15. Stopping illegal hawksbill trafficking in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia
16. SeaTurtle Bycatch: A Global Challenge That Requires Adaptive Solutions For The 21st Century
Climate Change & Sea Turtles
17. Studying How Rapid Changes in Water Temperature Impact Sea Turtles
18. Understanding the Impacts that Projected Increases Will Have On Sea Turtle Reproductive Output
19. Natural History 2.0: The Power of Direct Experience in Understanding, Connecting with, and Conserving Nature in the Modern Age
Resources & Bibliography
20. Fundraising For Sea Turtle Conversation
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 30th November 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Brad Nahill is the co-founder and president of SEE Turtles, a nonprofit conservation organization that generates financial and volunteer support for global sea turtle conservation projects. He has published numerous articles on sea turtle conservation and conservation tourism and is also the co-author of the Worldwide Guide to Sea Turtles (Texas A&M University Press). Brad Nahill serves as the Co-Chair for the Wildlife Trafficking Alliance Tourism Committee, is on the Board of Directors for Sea Turtles Forever, and formerly was the Awards Committee Chair for the International Sea Turtle Society. For his work to protect sea turtles, Brad has received the World Travel & Tourism Council Changemakers Award, the Skal Sustainable Tourism Award, and the President’s Award from the International Sea Turtle Society.
Co-founder and President, SEE Turtles
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.