Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
School Security: How to Build and Strengthen a School Safety Program, Second Edition emphasizes a proactive rather than reactive approach to school security. Readers are introduced to basic loss prevention and safety concepts, including how to communicate safety information to students and staff, how to raise security awareness, and how to prepare for emergencies. The book discusses how to positively influence student behavior, lead staff training programs, and write sound security policies. This book isn't just for security professionals and will help educators and school administrators without formal security training effectively address school risk.
As school safety challenges continue to evolve with new daily stories surrounding security lapses, lockdowns, or violent acts taking place, this thoroughly revised edition will help explain how to make educational institutions a safer place to learn.
- Includes new tabletop exercises for managing emergencies
- Contains coverage of the new risks commonly facing schools today, from access control to social media
- Presents updated school security resources
- Serves as a comprehensive guide for building an effective security program at little or no cost
- Covers fundamental CPTED concepts
- Addresses bullying, teen suicide, harassment, and dating violence
- Takes a holistic approach to school security rather than focusing on a particular threat or event
School safety and security professionals, administrators, and graduate students. Those at K-12 schools, universities, and day care centers responsible for policy implementation or protective services in the school setting.
1. What Is School Security?
2. How Safe Is Your School?
3. Developing a Plan
4. Securing Your Environment
5. Influencing Behavior
6. Preparing Your People
7. Managing Emergencies
8. Social Media Risks and Solutions
9. School Security Resources and Conclusion
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2021
- 27th April 2021
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Paul Timm is a board-certified Physical Security Professional and a nationally acclaimed expert in school security. He was named one of the Most Influential People in Security in 2020 by Security Magazine. Paul serves on the Campus Safety Conferences Advisory Board, the Advisory Council for the Partner Alliance for Safer Schools, the ASIS International School Safety and Security Council, and the Illinois Association of School Business Officials Risk Management Committee.
Vice President, Facility Engineering Associates.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.