Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Saving Food: Production, Supply Chain, Food Waste and Food Consumption presents the latest developments on food loss and waste. Emphasis is placed on global issues, the environmental impacts of food consumption and wasted food, wasted nutrients, raising awareness via collaborative networks and actions, the effect of food governance and policy in food losses, promotion of sustainable food consumption, food redistribution, optimizing agricultural practices, the concept of zero waste, food security and sustainable land management, optimizing food supply and cold chains, food safety in supply chain management, non-thermal food processing/preservation technologies, food waste prevention/reduction, food waste valorization and recovery.
Intended to be a guide for all segments of the food industry aiming to adapt or further develop zero waste strategies, this book analyzes the problem of food waste from every angle and provides critical information on how to minimize waste.
- Describes all aspects related to saving food and food security, including raising awareness, food redistribution actions, food policy and framework, food conservation, cold chain, food supply chain management, food waste reduction and valorization
- Guides all segments of the industry on how to employ zero waste strategies
- Analyzes key issues to create a pathway to solutions
All members of the food industry trying to adapt zero waste strategies including retailers, supply chain specialists, food scientists, food technologists, engineers, professionals, agriculturalists, policy makers and producers. The book could also be used in post-graduate courses addressing food loss, food waste and supply chain management, food waste valorization, sustainable food production, sustainable agriculture
1. Introduction in global food losses and food waste
Gang Liu and Li Xue
2. Food security and sustainable land management to save food
3. Optimizing agricultural practices
4. Food preservation technologies
5. Non-thermal food processing/preservation technologies
Elisabete Alexandre, Jorge Manuel Alexandre Saraiva, Carlos Pinto, Sílvia A. Moreira and Manuela Pintado
6. Innovative packaging that saves food
Vilasia Guimarães Martins
7. Optimized cold chain to save food
8. Optimized food supply chains to reduce food losses
9. Reducing food losses in supply chain through value stream mapping: a case study in the dairy sector
Joshua Wesana, Xavier Gellynck, Manoj Dora, Darian Pearce, Hans DeSteur
10. Food waste valorisation
Lara Manzocco and Stella Plazzotta
11. Food consumption and wasted food
12. Suboptimal food? Food waste at the consumer-retailer interface
Jessica Aschemann-Witzel, Ilona E. de Hooge, Valérie L. Almli
13. The concept of zero waste
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2019
- 1st June 2019
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Charis M. Galanakis is a multidisciplinary scientist in agricultural sciences as well as food and environmental science, technology, and sustainability, with experience in both industry and academia. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories in Chania, Greece, an adjunct professor of King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and the director of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association in Vienna, Austria. He pioneered the new discipline of food waste recovery and has established the most prominent innovation network in the field. He also serves as a senior consultant for the food industry and expert evaluator for international and regional funded programs and proposals. He is an editorial board member of Food and Bioproducts Processing, Food Research International, and Foods, has edited over 45 books, and has published hundreds of research articles, reviews, monographs, chapters, and conference proceedings.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.