Arm yourself with all the latest information on more than 1,000 generic and 4,000 trade name drugs. With its alphabetical organization and user-friendly design, Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook 2017 gives you all the expert drug information you need right in the palm of your hand. In addition to its detailed and thoroughly updated drug coverage (including Black Box Alerts), this convenient handbook also includes the precautionary information nurses need to provide safer patient care — such as guidance on clinical priorities in the practice setting and IV drug administration. No other drug handbook on the market more perfectly meets the practicing nurse’s needs as Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook 2017!
- Over 1,000 generic name drugs (encompassing over 4,000 trade name drugs) are organized alphabetically with A to Z tabs to make accessing important information quick and easy.
- Detailed information for each drug distinguishes side effects and adverse reactions to help you identify which are most likely to occur.
- Special text treatment for "High Alert" drugs that pose the greatest risk for patient harm promotes safe drug administration.
- UNIQUE! Frequently-used herb monographs and herb interactions are included to keep you informed of the effects of commonly encountered herbs.
- Classifications section features an overview of actions and uses for drug families.
- Top 100 Drugs list helps you easily identify the most frequently administered drugs.
- Nursing implications are organized in a functional nursing process framework and include headings for Baseline Assessment, Intervention/Evaluation, and Patient/Family Teaching.
- Information on lifespan and disorder-related dosage variations equips you with special considerations for specific patient populations.
- Extensively expanded IV content features a heading for IV compatibilities and expanded rates of infusion, reconstitutions, drip rates, test doses, flushing, and incompatibilities.
- Fixed combinations are included in dosages of each combined drug directly within the individual monographs.
- Cross-references to the 400 top U.S. brand-name drugs are located directly in the main section of the book for easier accessibility.
- Customizable and printable monographs for 100 of the most commonly used drugs are located on the free Evolve companion site.
- Therapeutic and toxic blood level information shows you the patient implications for drug administration.
- Comprehensive IV Compatibility Chart foldout<
How to Use This Book
List of newly approved drugs
IV Compatibility Chart Insert
Drugs by Disorder
Section I. Drug Classifications
Section II. A-Z Drugs
Section III. Reference Section
Appendix A. Calculation of Doses
Appendix B. Controlled Drugs (United States)
Appendix C. Chronic Wound Care
Appendix D. Drugs of Abuse
Appendix E. Equianalgesic Dosing
Appendix F. FDA Pregnancy Categories
Appendix G. Herbals: Common Natural Medicines
Appendix H. Lifespan, Cultural Aspects, and Pharmacogenomics of Drug Therapy
Appendix I. Normal Laboratory Values
Appendix J. Cytochrome P450 (CYP) Enzymes
Appendix K. Poison Antidote Chart
Appendix L. Preventing Medication Errors and Improving Medication Safety
Appendix M. Recommended Childhood and Adult Immunizations
Appendix N. Parenteral Fluid Administration
Appendix O. Spanish Phrases Often Used in Clinical Settings
Commonly Used Abbreviations
Dangerous Abbreviation List
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2017
- 26th April 2016
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Education Coordinator, Department of Pharmacy, Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove Village, IL, USA