Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Saffron explores the properties, metabolism and health effects of saffron ingredients, along with processing issues and the industrial applications that are affected by these aspects. The book addresses the in vitro and in vivo antioxidant activities of bioactive compounds found in saffron and investigates recovery methods for the extraction of these target ingredients, as well as their encapsulation. Each of these methods aims to prevent the degradation of saffron's bioactive compounds by environmental factors and to improve their bioavailability in different applications.
The book is an excellent reference for food scientists, technologists, chemists, new product developers, researchers, academics, professionals working in the food industry, and pharmacologists, pharmacists and clinicians interested in nutrition and metabolism.
- Analyzes the potential of already commercialized processes and products
- Discusses metabolomics, the effect of saffron on chronic diseases, and its efficacy and safety issues
- Investigates recovery technologies and applications in foods and nutraceutical markets
Food scientists, technologists, and chemists working in the whole food science field; new product developers; researchers, academics and professionals working in the food industry; pharmacologists, pharmacists and clinicians interested in nutrition and metabolism
1. Biochemistry and metabolism
2. Antioxidant activities of bioactive compounds and various extracts obtained from saffron
3. Extraction of bioactive compounds from saffron species
4. Emerging technologies for the recovery of bioactive compounds from saffron species
5. Encapsulation of Saffron Bioactive Compounds
6. Saffron as Natural Food Colorant and Applications
7. Use of saffron as a functional food and saffron nutraceuticals
8. Patent survey on saffron and its multiple applications: an update
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 6th November 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Charis M. Galanakis is a multidisciplinary scientist in agricultural sciences as well as food and environmental science, technology, and sustainability, with experience in both industry and academia. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories in Chania, Greece, an adjunct professor of King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and the director of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association in Vienna, Austria. He pioneered the new discipline of food waste recovery and has established the most prominent innovation network in the field. He also serves as a senior consultant for the food industry and expert evaluator for international and regional funded programs and proposals. He is an editorial board member of Food and Bioproducts Processing, Food Research International, and Foods, has edited over 45 books, and has published hundreds of research articles, reviews, monographs, chapters, and conference proceedings.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.