Featuring hundreds of full-color photomicrographs, Rodak’s Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications, 5th Edition prepares you for a job in the clinical lab by exploring the essential aspects of hematology. It shows how to accurately identify cells, simplifies hemostasis and thrombosis concepts, and covers normal hematopoiesis through diseases of erythroid, myeloid, lymphoid, and megakaryocytic origins. This text also makes it easy to understand complementary testing areas such as flow cytometry, cytogenetics, and molecular diagnostics. Clinical lab experts Elaine Keohane, Larry Smith, and Jeanine Walenga also cover key topics such as working in a hematology lab, the parts and functions of the cell, and laboratory testing of blood cells and body fluid cells.
- Instructions for lab procedures include sources of possible errors along with comments.
- Case studies in each chapter provide opportunities to apply hematology concepts to real-life scenarios.
- Hematology instruments are described, compared, and contrasted.
- UPDATED, full-color illustrations make it easier to visualize hematology concepts and show what you’ll encounter in the lab, with images appearing near their mentions in the text so you don’t have to flip pages back and forth.
- Hematology/hemostasis reference ranges are listed on the inside front and back covers for quick reference.
- A bulleted summary makes it easy to review the important points in every chapter.
- Learning objectives begin each chapter and indicate what you should achieve, with review questions appearing at the end.
- A glossary of key terms makes it easy to find and learn definitions.
Part I: Introduction to Hematology
1. An Overview of Clinical Laboratory Hematology
2. Safety in the Hematology Laboratory
3. Blood Specimen Collection
4. Care and Use of the Microscope
5. Quality Assurance in Hematology and Hemostasis Testing
Part II: Blood Cell Production, Structure, and Function
6. Cellular Structure and Function
8. Erythrocyte Production and Destruction
9. Erythrocyte Metabolism and Membrane Structure and Function
10. Hemoglobin Metabolism
11. Iron Kinetics and Laboratory Assessment
12. Leukocyte Development, Kinetics, and Function
13. Platelet Production, Structure, and Function
Part III: Laboratory Evaluation of Blood Cells
14. Manual, Semiautomated, and Point-of-Care Testing in Hematology
15. Automated Blood Cell Analysis
16. Examination of the Peripheral Blood Film and Correlation with the Complete Blood Count
17. Bone Marrow Examination
18. Body Fluid Analysis in the Hematology Laboratory
Part IV: Erythrocyte Disorders
19. Anemias. Red Blood Cell Morphology and Approach to Diagnosis
20. Disorders of Iron Kinetics and Heme Metabolism
21. Anemias Caused by Defects of DNA Metabolism
22. Bone Marrow Failure
23. Introduction to Increased Destruction of Erythrocytes
24. Intrinsic Defects Leading to Increased Erythrocyte Destruction
25. Extrinsic Defects Leading to Increased Erythrocyte Destruction – Nonimmune Causes
26. Extrinsic Defects Leading to Increased Erythrocyte Destructions – Immune Causes
27. Hemoglobinopathies (Structural Defects in Hemoglobin)
Part V: Leukocyte Disorders
29. Nonmalignant Leukocyte Disorders
31. Molecular Diagnostics in the Clinical Laboratory
32. Flow Cytometric Analysis in Hematologic Disorders
33. Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
34. Myelodysplastic Syndromes
35. Acute Leukemias
36. Mature Lymphoid Neoplasms
Part VI: Hemostasis and Thrombosis
37. Normal Hemostasis and Coagulation
38. Hemorrhagic Disorders and Laboratory Assessment
39. Thrombotic Disorders and Laboratory Assessment
40. Thrombocytopenia and Thrombocytosis
41. Qualitative Disorders of Platelets and Vasculature
42. Laboratory Evaluation of Hemostasis
43. Measuring Antithrombotic Therapies
44. Hemostasis and Coagulation Instrumentation
Part VII: Hematology and Hemostasis in Selected Populations
45. Pediatric and Geriatric Hematology and Hemostasis
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2016
- 20th February 2015
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Emeritus, Clinical Laboratory and Medical Imaging Sciences, School of Health Professions, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey; Newark, New Jersey
Professor, Thoracic-Cardiovascular Surgery, Pathology, and Physiology Co-Director, Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Unit Health Sciences Division Stritch School of Medicine Loyola University Chicago Maywood, Illinois Laboratory Director, Clinical Coagulation Laboratory Director, Urinalysis and Medical Microscopy Associate Director, Point of Care & Referred Testing Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Loyola University Health System Maywood, Illinois
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.