- Answers the questions: How are machines built? How do they work? How does one best approach the design process for a specific machine?
- Thoroughly updated with new coverage of modern concepts and techniques, such as rapid modeling, automated assembly, parallel-driven robots and mechatronic systems
- Calculations for design completed with Mathematica which will help the reader through its ease of use, time-saving methods, solutions to nonlinear equations, and graphical display of design processes
- Use of real-world examples and problems that every reader can understand without difficulty
- Large number of high-quality illustrations
- Self-study and homework problems are integrated into the text along with their solutions so that the engineering professional and the student will each find the text very useful
Table of Contents
- Preface to the Second Edition. Introduction: Brief Historical Review and Main Definitions: What Robots Are. Definition of Levels or Kinds of Robots. Manipulators. Structure of Automatic Industrial Systems. Nonindustrial Representatives of the Robot Family. Relationship between the Level of Robot 'Intelligence' and the Product. References.
Concepts and Layouts: Processing Layout. How Does One Find the Concept of an Automatic Manufacturing Process?. How to Determine the Productivity of a Manufacturing Process. The Kinematic Layout. Rapid Prototyping. Dynamic Analysis of Drives: Mechanically Driven Bodies. Electromagnetic Drive. Electric Drives. Hydraulic Drive.
Pneumodrive. Brakes. Drive with a Variable Moment of Inertia. Kinematics and Control of Automatic Machines: Position Function. Camshafts. Master Controller, Amplifiers. Dynamic Accuracy. Damping of Harmful Vibrations. Automatic Vibration Damping. Electrically Controlled Vibration Dampers. Feedback Sensors:
Linear and Angular Displacement Sensors. Speed and Flow-Rate Sensors. Force Sensors. Temperature Sensors. Item Presence Sensors. Transporting Devices: General Considerations. Linear Transportation. Rotational Transportation. Vibrational Transportation. Feeding and Orientation Devices: Introduction. Feeding of Liquid and Granular Materials. Feeding of Strips, Rods, Wires, Ribbons, Etc.. Feeding of Oriented Parts from Magazines. Feeding of Parts from Bins. General Discussion of Orientation of Parts. Passive Orientation. Active Orientation. Logical Orientation. Orientation by Nonmechanical Means. Functional Systems and Mechanisms: General Concepts. Automatic Assembling. Special Means of Assembly. Inspection Systems. Miscellaneous Mechanisms. Manipulators: Introduction. Dynamics of Manipulators. Kinematics of Manipulators. Grippers. Guides. Mobile and Walking Robots. Solutions to the Exercises. Recommended Readings. List of Main Symbols. Index.
- No. of pages: 433
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Academic Press 1999
- Published: April 28, 1999
- Imprint: Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: 9780080516370
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Robotics"