2013 BMA Medical Book Awards Highly Commended in Surgical Specialties!
Unequalled in scope, depth, and clinical precision, Retina, 5th Edition keeps you at the forefront of today's new technologies, surgical approaches, and diagnostic and therapeutic options for retinal diseases and disorders. Comprehensively updated to reflect everything you need to know regarding retinal diagnosis, treatment, development, structure, function, and pathophysiology, this monumental ophthalmology reference work equips you with expert answers to virtually any question you may face in practice.
"The chapters demonstrate clarity, authority, and breadth which together with superb illustrations and videos result in an outstanding book."
Reviewed by: B.R.Masters, Independent Scholar on behalf of Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology journal, Jan 2014
- Benefit from the extensive knowledge and experience of esteemed editor Dr. Stephen Ryan, five expert co-editors, and a truly global perspective from 358 other world authorities across Europe, Asia, Australasia the Americas.
- Examine and evaluate the newest diagnostic technologies and approaches that are changing the management of retinal disease, including future technologies which will soon become the standard.
- Put the very latest scientific and genetic discoveries, diagnostic imaging methods, drug therapies, treatment recommendations, and surgical techniques to work in your practice.
Part 1: Retinal Imaging and Diagnostics
Section 1: Optimal Imaging Technologies
1. Fluorescein Angiography: Basic Principles and Interpretation
2. Clinical Applications of Diagnostic Indocyanine Green Angiography
3. Optical Coherence Tomography
4. Autofluorescence Imaging
5. Advanced Imaging Technologies
6. Image Processing
Section 2: Retinal Diagnostics
7. Electrogenesis of the Electroretinogram
8. Clinical Electrophysiology
9. Diagnostic Ophthalmic Ultrasound
10. Color Vision and Night Vision
11. Visual Acuity and Contrast Sensitivity
12. Visual Fields in Retinal Disease
Part 2: Basic Science and Translation to Therapy
Section 1: Anatomy and Physiology
13. The Development of the Retina
14. Structure and Function of Rod and Cone Photoreceptors
15. Function and Anatomy of the Mammalian Retina
16. Cell Biology of the Retinal Pigment Epithelium
17. Cell Biology of the Müller Cell
18. Retinal and Choroidal Vasculature: Retinal Oxygenation
19. Mechanisms of Normal Retinal Adhesion
20. Structure, Function, and Pathology of Bruch's Membrane
21. Vitreous and Vitreoretinal Interface
Section 2: Basic Mechanisms of Injury in the Retina
22. Mechanisms of Oxidative Stress in Retinal Injury
23. Mechanisms of ER Stress in Retinal Disease
24. Cell Death, Apoptosis and Autophagy in Retinal Injury
25. Inflammatory Response and Mediators in Retinal Injury
26. Basic Mechanisms of Pathological Retinal and Choroidal Angiogenesis
27. Blood-Retinal Barrier, Immune Privilege, and Autoimmunity
28. Mechanism of Macular Edema and Therapeutic Approaches
29. Cellular Effects of Detachment and Reattachment on the Neural Retina and Retinal Pigment Epithelium
30. Pathogenesis of Serous Detachment of the Retina and Pigment Epithelium
Section 3: Genetics
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 7th December 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
President, Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles, CA
Vice Chairman, Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Chairman, Department of Ophthalmology, Greater Baltimore Medical Center; Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA Chairman, Department of Ophthalmology, Greater Baltimore Medical Center and Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Gavin S. Herbert Professor of Retinal Research; Professor of Pathology and Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, Doheny Eye Institue, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Professor and Chair, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
"Retina is comprehensive three-volume part edition or an ebook that provides a unique compendium of current knowledge on the science, maladies, diagnostics, and the medical and surgical treatments of the retina. this edition includes 20 new chapters and 1304 new figures. Its pedagogical value and utility as a reference book is enhanced with didactic clinical images and illustrations, key references, an index, and a searchable website that contains the three volumes and 55 videos that illustrate many surgical procedures... Retina is a scholarly testament to the researchers and clinicians whose daily work strives to preserve or restore vision. The chapters demonstrate clarity, authority, and breadth which together with superb illustrations and videos result in an outstanding book."
Graefes Archieves Clinical Experimental Ophthalmology, April 2014
"This is an exhaustive reference for everything retina. It provides both physicians and scientists with the most relevant studies all in one place.
With over 300 authors, it provides a global perspective.
This book stands with the very best retinal and ophthalmology references. In this quickly changing and evolving field, this update will be welcomed by all practitioners." - Christopher B Chambers, MD(Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine) Doody 5 stars!
Retina is a scholarly testament to the researchers and clinicians whose daily work strives to preserve or restore vision.
The chapters demonstrate clarity, authority, and breadth which together with superb illustrations and videos result in an outstanding book.
Reviewed by: B.R.Masters, Independent Scholar, Cambridge Date: Jan 2014