Recognized international leaders in the field of restless legs syndrome bring you their expertise in this clinically-focused, practical resource. Understand the various causes of this common movement and sleep disturbance and identify the best treatment options in each case. The text provides comprehensive overviews of both pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic approaches, covering benefits, limitations, and side-effect profiles. No matter what your specialty, if you treat any patients with restless legs syndrome, this book has everything you need to offer them the best care possible.
- Features international experts who discuss the most recent findings on symptomatic relief for your patients in a comprehensive section on current drug choices.
- Covers co-morbidities and special populations so you can properly treat everyone from children to pregnant women to patients with other neurological disorders.
- Emphasizes clinical material so you can apply the material to those secondary causes of restless legs syndrome such as anemia and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Surveys the emerging understandings of the biology of the disorder to present you with a comprehensive understanding of restless legs syndrome.
1. General Introduction: Restless Legs Syndrome as a Neurological Conundrum, Werner Poewe
2. Introduction: The Patient’s Perspective, Robert Balkam
3. From 1685 to 2008: An Introduction to the Restless Legs Syndrome, Allison Chan and Christian Guilleminault
4. Introduction: Restless Legs Syndrome as a Movement Disorder, Stanley Fahn
5 Restless Legs Syndrome and Nocturnal Myoclonus (Periodic Limb Movements during Sleep): An Historical Review, Elio Lugaresi and Federica Provini
6 Introduction: Clinical Science of Restless Legs Syndrome, Sudhansu Chokroverty
II. Basic Science of Restless Legs Syndrome
A. Epidemiology and Genetics
7 The Epidemiology of Restless Legs Syndrome, Klaus Berger and Tobias Kurth
8 Genetics of Restless Legs Syndrome, Lan Xiong, Gustavo Turecki, Anastasia Levchenko, Claudia Gaspar, Wayne A. Hening, Jacques Montplaisir, Guy A. Rouleau
9 The Iron Metabolic System, Stacey L. Clardy, James R. Connor, and John Beard
10 Iron Dysregulation in Restless Legs Syndrome, Christopher J. Earley
11 The Brain’s Dopamine Systems and their Relevance to Restless Legs Syndrome, A. A. Freeman and D. B. Rye
12 Neuroimaging in Restless Legs Syndrome, Claudia Trenkwalder and Christopher J. Earley
13 Circadian Rhythm of Restless Legs Syndrome, Diego Garcia-Borreguero and Wayne A. Hening
14 Spinal Cord, Dopamine, Opiates and Restless Legs Syndrome, W. Paulus and E.D. Schomburg
III. Clinical Science of RLS
15 Diagnosis of Restless Legs Syndrome, Richard P. Allen
16 Differential Diagnosis of Restless Legs Syndrome, Sudhansu Chokroverty
17 Periodic Limb Movements in Sleep (PLMS), Federica Provini, Roberto Vetrugno, Pasquale Montagna, and Raffaele Ferri
18 Sleep Laboratory Diagnosis of Restless Legs Syndrome,
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2009
- 3rd April 2009
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Clinical Assistant Professor of Neurology, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
Research Associate, Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Center for RLS, Baltimore, MD, USA
Professor and Co-Chair of Neurology, Program Director, Clinical Neurophysiology and Sleep Medicine, New Jersey Neuroscience Institute at JFK Medical Center and Seton Hall University, Edison, New Jersey; Clinical Professor of Neurology, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Associate Professor of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, USA