This handbook is concerned with response methods to isolate and mitigate hazards related to the releases of floating hazardous chemicals. The main thrust of the work is concerned with spills capable of emitting flammable and/or toxic vapors. Decision-making processes are outline, and methods of organizing experienced personnel, equipment and pertinent data are discussed.
Hazardous material response units, and first-responders to chemical spills.
Part I: Response Manual for Combating Spills
- The Decision-Making Process 3.1 Spill Characterization 3.2 Decision Analysis 3.3 Implementation 3.4 Feedback
- Spill Isolation 4.1 Spill Isolation on Water 4.2 Spill Isolation on Land 4.3 Flow Reduction Techniques
- Spill Mitigation and Removal Techniques 5.1 Vapor Suppression 5.2 Removal Techniques 5.3 In Situ Treatment Techniques
- Special Problems 6.1 Partially Water Soluble Chemicals 6.2 Submerged Sources 6.3 Night Spills 6.4 Materials Which Rapidly Form Monolayers 6.5 Burning Spills 6.6 Boiling Liquid Expandiing Vapor Explosion Appendix A: Physical-Chemical Characteristics of Floating CHRIS Chemicals Appendix B: Evaluation of Spill Removal Equipment and Chemical Removal Techniques Appendix C: Decision Making Work Sheets
Part II: Classification of Floating Chemicals and Technology Review
- Classification of CHRIS Chemicals and State-of-the-Art Review of Containment and Recovery Technologies Introduction Approach Review of Spill Cleanup Technologies Test Programs Discussion Summary and Conclusions Appendix A: Physical-Chemical Characteristics of Floating CHRIS Chemicals Appendix B: Methods of Grouping Floating CHRIS Chemicals
- Evaluation of Foam Vapor Suppression and of Compatibility Between Spilled Chemicals and Response Equipment Characteristics and Mechanisms of Vapor Suppression of Foam Foam Tests at the Transportation Test Center Chemical Compatibility Between Spilled Chemicals and Response Equipment Appendix A: Calculational Scheme for Lag Time Appendix B: Calculational Scheme for Mass Transport Through Foam Appendix C: Matrix of Foam Vapor Suppression Tests Appendix D: Foam Vapor Suppression Methods for CHRIS Chemicals that Float on Water Appendix E: Nomenclature References Bibliography
- No. of pages:
- © William Andrew 1992
- 31st December 1992
- William Andrew
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN: