Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Repairing the World’s Estuaries: Knowledge, Challenges and the Necessary Success Ahead provides a single resource for the latest research and knowledge in coastal estuary repair; in particular, project learnings and outcomes. The book has a strong cross-discipline focus that covers engineering, the environment, and sustainability and marine science, thus making it useful to a broad range of readers. The book collates novel and exciting research from around the globe and best approaches to engineering design that achieve the dual benefit of protection and ecosystem services. Resource managers, government bodies, policymakers, industry organizations/institutes, students and research centers will find the resource very informative.
- Features renowned contributors, including leading experts in the field of coastal estuary repair and research, all with a unique and globally diverse outlook and the ability to provide real world experiences and knowledge
- Focuses on emerging science and technology, topics of huge importance for expanding cities and industry areas, including coverage on repairing and protecting expanding coastal urban cities
- Presents a detailed assessment of successful projects, outlining the positive strategies, challenges and lifecycle costs
Professionals working in the field of coastal and estuary wetland restoration, protection and policy, coastal engineers, marine ecologists, and marine biologist. Environmental Engineers
Part 1 Coastal seascape change
1. Importance of estuaries and ecosystems services in a changing world
Part 2 Case studies
2. Research and restoration of estuaries in China
3. Coastal development and engineering marine conservation in United Arab Emeritus
4. Estuary protection in intensive agricultural regions
5. Managing estuary and coastal environments in major port regions
6. Restoring America’s estuaries: Overview, success and future challenges
7. Estuary system repair adjacent to the world’s largest coral reef
8. Restoring ecosystem services into the Everglades
9. Protection of estuaries and developing countries - case study from the Amazonas
10. European Union Water Framework Directive approach to repairing estuaries
Part 3 Research and challenges
11. Indicators of estuary condition and tools to measure restoration success
12. Protecting estuaries and restoring function using green engineering
13. Estuaries feed the world
14. Big picture challenges with restoring estuaries
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2022
- 1st March 2022
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr Waltham has a deep interest in coastal landscape ecology and processes, in particular, urban ecology and coastal restoration. Achieving practicable outcomes in this research field requires cooperation and integration from a multidisciplinary team of scientists, managers and policy makers. Dr Waltham’s working career has focused on understanding fisheries sustainability, nutrient processes, landscape restoration, stormwater quality and quantity, geomorphic processes, erosion and sediment control, and contamination. Dr Waltham believes that every opportunity to restore river systems should be taken, particularly those small actions which are often completed by community members: it is the accumulative impact of these which leads to the greatest achievements and success in protection and restoration. In doing this, he believes that it is important to engage local partners (e.g. land holders, industry, indigenous groups, government agencies) to capture their values, build capacity/trust, and encourage community ownership of the project and to share in the success.
James Cook University, Australia
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.