- Addresses the natural association between cartilage, tendons and ligaments which is often not made
- Provides a review of the different structures, biomechanics and practical techniques which are used in the repair of connective tissues
- Chapters focus on such areas as cartilage repair and regeneration, the repair of tendons and ligaments, investigating techniques including scaffolds and cell-based therapies
Table of Contents
- Structure and regenerative capacity of synovial joint tissues; The myofibroblast in connective tissue repair and regeneration. Part 1 Cartilage repair and regeneration: Structure of articular cartilage; Measuring the biomechanical properties of cartilage cells; Understanding tissue response to cartilage injury; Understanding osteoarthritis and other cartilage diseases; Using animal models of cartilage repair to screen new clinical techniques; Cartilage tissue repair: Autologous osteochondral mosaicplasty; Cartilage tissue repair: Autologous chondrocyte implantation; Cell sheet technologies for cartilage repair; Cell therapies for articular cartilage repair: Chondrocytes and mesenchymal stem cells; Scaffolds for musculoskeletal tissue engineering; Outcome measures of articular cartilage repair. Part 2 Repair of tendons and ligaments: The structure of tendons and ligaments; Tendon biomechanics; Tendon injury and repair mechanisms; Tissue engineering for ligament and tendon repair; Cell-based therapies for the repair and regeneration of tendons and ligaments; Scaffolds for tendon and ligament tissue engineering.
- No. of pages: 504
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Woodhead Publishing 2010
- Published: January 12, 2010
- Imprint: Woodhead Publishing
- eBook ISBN: 9781845697792
About the Editors
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Regenerative Medicine and Biomaterials for the Repair of Connective Tissues"