A full-color resource, Radiation Protection in Medical Radiography, 7th Edition makes it easy to understand both basic and complex concepts in radiation protection, biology, and physics. Concise coverage promotes the safe use of ionizing radiation in all imaging modalities, including the effects of radiation on humans at the cellular and systemic levels, regulatory and advisory limits for human exposure to radiation, and the implementation of radiation safety practices for patients and personnel. This edition includes NEW content on the impact of radiation levels during the nuclear power plant crisis that followed the 2011 earthquake/tsunami in Japan. From an author team led by well-known radiation protection expert Mary Alice Statkiewicz Sherer, this text has consistently helped students perform well on the ARRT exam!
"...well written and easy to comprehend". Reviewed by Kirsten Farrell on behalf of RAD Magazine, March 2015
- Full-color illustrations reinforce important information.
- Convenient, easy-to-use features include chapter outlines and objectives, highlighting of key terms, and bulleted summaries and review questions to enhance comprehension and retention.
- Clear and concise writing style covers complex concepts in radiation protection, biology, and physics in a building-block approach from basic to more complex concepts.
- Review questions are included at the end of chapters to assess your comprehension, with answers on the Evolve companion website.
- Coverage of historical radiological disasters includes photos and text on Hiroshoma, Chernobyl, and Three-Mile Island.
1. Introduction to Radiation Protection
2. Radiation: Types, Sources and Doses Received
3. Interaction of X-Radiation with Matter
4. Radiation Quantities and Units
5. Radiation Monitoring
6. Overview of Cell Biology
7. Molecular and Cellular Radiation Biology
8. Early Deterministic Radiation Effects on Organ Systems
9. Late Deterministic and Stochastic Radiation Effects on Organ Systems
10. Dose Limits for Exposure to Ionizing Radiation
11. Equipment Design for Radiation Protection
12. Management of Patient Radiation Dose during Diagnostic X-Ray Procedures
13. Management of Imaging Personnel Radiation Dose During Diagnostic X-Ray Procedures
14. Radioisotopes and Radiation Protection
A. Relationships between Systems of Units
B. Standard Designations for Metric System Lengths, Electron Volt Energy Levels, and Frequency Spectrum Ranges
C. Periodic Table of Elements
D. Chance of a 50-KeV Photon Interacting with Atoms of Tissue as it Travels Through 5 cm of Soft Tissue
E. Relationship among Protons, Electromagnetic Waves, Wavelengths and Energy
F. Electron Shell Structure of the Atom
G. Revision of 10 CFR Part 35*
H. Consumer-Patient Radiation Health and Safety Act of 1981
Answers to Review Questions
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2015
- 3rd December 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Radiography Instructor, High-Tech Institute, Nashville, TN
Director of Medical Physics, Radiation Safety Officer, Memorial Hospital of Burlington County, Mount Holly, NJ
Professor and Director of Physics Section, Department of Radiology, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, MN