- Provides new information on the research and development of natural remedies - essential reading on the study and use of natural resources for preventative or healing purposes
- Brings together current thinking and practices in quality control and standardization of herbal drugs highlighting several integrated approaches for metabolomics, chemo-profiling and marker analysis
- Aids in developing knowledge of various techniques including macroscopy, microscopy, HPTLC, HPLC, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS etc. with the development of integrated methods for evaluation of botanicals used in traditional medicine
- Assessment of herbal drugs through bio-analytical techniques, bioassay guided isolation, enzyme inhibition, pharmacological, microbiological, antiviral assays and safety related quality issues
- References global organizations, such as the WHO, USFDA, CDSCO, AYUSH, TCM and others to serve as a comprehensive document for enforcement agencies, NGOs and regulatory authorities
those involved in the fields of herbal medicine, traditional medicine, pharmaceutical sciences and natural product research. Researchers in the herbal drug industry and academicians studying relevant areas of plant sciences, analytical chemistry, medicinal chemistry, phyto-chemistry, alternative medicine, pharmacognosy, natural products and related fields will be benefited. Graduate and post graduate students and researchers in these areas but also will be useful to the technocrats in the industries and the legislators to know more about the methodologies developed for quality evaluation of herbal drugs
Table of Contents
1. Traditional systems of medicines and harmonization
2. Ethnopharmacology and ethnomedicines-inspired drug development
3. Quality evaluation of herbal medicines: Challenges and opportunities
4. Qualitative analysis for evaluation of herbal drugs
5. Morphological and microscopical evaluations
6. Extraction and other downstream procedures for evaluation of herbal drugs
7. Bioactive phyto-components and their analysis
8. Thin layer chromatography for evaluation of herbal drugs
9. High performance thin layer chromatography (HPTLC) for analysis of herbal drugs
10. High performance liquid chromatography for analysis of herbal drugs
11. LC-MS: A rapid technique for understanding the plant metabolomic analysis
12. Chemo-profiling and marker analysis for quality evaluation of herbal drugs
13. Bioassay guided isolation and evaluation of herbal drugs
14. Enzyme inhibition studies for evaluation of herbal drugs
15. Evaluation of herbal drugs for antimicrobial and parasiticidal effects
16. Antiviral evaluation of herbal drugs
17. Plant metabolomics and quality evaluation of herbal drugs
18. Safety related quality issues for development of herbal drugs
19. Quality assurance of herbal drugs and stability testing
20. Phytopharmaceuitcals, nutraceuticals and their evaluation
21. Regulatory harmonization and good quality practices for development of herbal medicine
- No. of pages: 784
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Elsevier 2019
- Published: May 29, 2019
- Imprint: Elsevier
- Paperback ISBN: 9780128133743
- eBook ISBN: 9780128133989
About the Author
Pulok K. Mukherjee
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
(Total rating for all reviews)
Santanu B. Mon Jul 08 2019
Quintessential reference for all who are passionate about natural products
I would like to thank Professor Mukherjee once again for writing this book. Quality control of natural product and ethnomedicine continues to be an unmet need. The major challenge in the development of natural products/ethnomedicine is standardization, which hinders its acceptability as an effective system of healthcare. Although, several books documented standardization process of natural product, a complete reference book was always missing. This book provides a complete snapshot of the quality evaluation process of herbal medicines, outlining the modern concepts, instruments and techniques. In depth description of the quality evaluation process makes this a must read for all students and researchers in the field of natural product and ethnomedicine. This book would also help the academicians, researchers, medicinal plant growers, industrialists, and the policymakers in healthcare system to understand the process of quality evaluation of herbal drugs. Therefore, all librarians should have this book in their list.
Dr. L. Mon Jul 08 2019
Best book for exploring quality control and evaluation of herbal drugs
I am delighted to share my views on this book written by Dr. Mukherjee. This book is very much essential considering the present scenario of high usage of herbal drugs throughout the world. While the demand for herbal drugs are increasing the need for quality control is also equally important. It's well known that the standardization of herbal preparations is a highly complex process and there is an urgent need to establish robust , accurate and reproducible analytical methods. Understanding the complexity of herbals and establishing such methods are highly essential meanwhile documenting these methods are equally essential. This this book will be more useful and attract readers due to its quality content and well framed structure. I congratulate the author for bringing this book at right time.
Dr. M. Mon Jul 08 2019
Quality Control and Evaluation of Herbal Drugs
This book is an excellent version for academicians, researchers and industrialists those who are interested in herbal drugs. It's a good compilation of concepts requried for quality control and evaluation of herbal drugs. In the current scenario, there is a definite need of standardisation methodologies for herbal drug formulations as they are widely used worldwide for treatment of various diseases and for maintainenace of health. I am very much sure that this book will attract readers and will be beneficial for understanding the quality control and evaluation methods of herbal drugs.
Dr. D. Fri Jun 21 2019
A good book in Quality Control and Evaluation of Herbal Drugs
Quality Control and Evaluation of Herbal Drugs, the book written by Prof. Pulok K. Mukherjee is very useful for researchers and students who are interested in herbal drugs. This book will help the readers easy to understand about quality, safety, and efficiency of herbal drugs.
Wisanu M. Fri Jun 21 2019
Quality Control and Evaluation of Herbal Drugs
The fantastic book on "Quality Control & Evaluation of Herbal Drugs" by Prof Pulok Mukherjee. The detail useful methodologies based on experimental data and will be very useful as a reference guide to conduct research and quality control of drugs.
Dr. M. Wed Jun 19 2019
Quality Control and Evaluation of Herbal Drugs
The book is an excellent compilation of chapters dealing with application of cutting-edge techniques for evaluation of bioactivity, standardization, safety assessment and quality control and quality assurance of ethnomedicines and phytomedicines. A valuable reference book for students and research scholars working in the field of Natural Products, AYUSH & traditional medicines, the book also will serve a benchmark for furthering the prospects of natural drug products as safe & effective medicines. I congratulate the author, Prof. Pulok Mukherjee for his stupendous & consistent efforts in the area of ethnopharmacology & ethnomedicines!
Prof.R.N.GUPTA I. Fri Jun 14 2019
Dr.R.NGUPTA Ph.D.(Pharmacy). Eminent Pharmacist Award 2017. Best Pharmaceutical Scientist Award 2018 Reviewer of NFI, Advisory Committee member of
I have gone through the book 'Quality Control and Evaluation of Herbal Drugs. First of all I CONGRATULATE author Dr Pulok Mukherjee to write such important and valuable book on herbal drugs as per the need of the hour.. The content of the book covers all the related aspects required for herbal drugs. After independence of India or say in modern era throughout the world , stress were put on quality assurance, and testing/ evaluation of allopathic medicines only . The evaluation of Ayurvedic and herbal / plant drugs were not given due importance due to non availibility of testing process too. several advanced instruments have been even included in Indian Pharmacoeipia in the testing of drugs ,so that proper quality parameters can be complied. But for herbal drug it was lacking. In this book the special stress is given on developing knowledge of various techniques including macroscopy, microscopy, HPTLC, HPLC, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS etc. with the development of integrated methods for evaluation of botanicals used in traditional medicine. The inclusion of herbal drugs for evaluation purpose through bio-analytical techniques, bioassay guided isolation, enzyme inhibition, pharmacological, microbiological, antiviral assays and safety related quality issues are commendable.This book is in consice form and most valuable for formulators Wishing all success.
Tapan M. Wed Jun 12 2019
Quality Control & Evaluation of Herbal Drugs
The book on 'Qualty Control & Evaluation of Herbal Drugs' by Prof Pulok Mukherjee, an eminent researcher and Director, Studies of Natural Products Studies, Jadavpur University, Kolkata is a much needed and timely publication. The first edition of the book covers well written 21 Chapters spread into 784 pages covers drug development from natural resources. The book is a treasure house of new information on R&D from natural remedies. The book will be useful for bioprospecting, drug discovery and development from from natural resources and Traditional Medicine. The book is highly recommended for researchers and students working in the field of herbal products and traditional medicine and also for policy makers.
Dr. K. Tue Jun 11 2019
Quality Control and Evaluation of Herbal Drugs, A Need of the Hour
At the outset I would like to congratulate the authors for bringing out much needed book for quality evaluation of herbal drugs. Evaluation of herbal drug is a bottle neck and whatever amount of work done in this regard, it is short of complete evaluation. Therefore a thorough understanding of the drugs from natural origin and application of suitable methodology for evaluation is essential for a frugal analysis of drugs from nature. This book, thus, covers a logical requirement for the understanding of herbal drugs and therefore starts with traditional systems of medicine. It covers a wide range of evaluations methods; conventional methods like, Morphology, microscopy, ash values, various indices etc., to hyphenated technologies like LC-MS; to metabolomics. Inclusion of therapeutic evaluation bio-activity guided isolation impressed me a lot more. Over all a highly needed book and I would like to recommend this book to every educational institute across the globe.
Dr. K. Mon Jun 10 2019
The guiding star for phytochemical research
This is fantastic book dealing into the nitty gritties of Standardization of Traditional Medicine and Phytochemicals. It provides the authenticate methods for the herbal drug research. The special emphasis on the bioassays are certainly a great value addition. This book is a perfect compendium of all the prerequisites in herbal drug research and surely will be the guiding star for the research community. The author, an institution in himself , Prof. Dr. Pulok Mukherjee heartiest congratulations for compending this masterpiece.