Work more effectively with a complete understanding of Canadian public health! Shah’s Public Health and Preventive Health Care in Canada, Sixth Edition examines health care policy in Canada and the issues and trends faced by today’s health care professionals. It puts health promotion and prevention models into a historical perspective, with discussions including the evolution of national health insurance, determinants of health and disease, and approaches to achieving health for all. Written by educators Bonnie Fournier and Fareen Karachiwalla, and based on the work of noted author Dr. Chandrakant Shah, this text provides an excellent foundation in Canadian public health for nurses and other health care professionals.
- Quintessentially Canadian content is designed especially for Canadian nursing and health care professionals.
- Comprehensive coverage includes in-depth, current information on public health and preventive care topics.
- End-of-chapter summaries reinforce your understanding of key health care concepts.
- End-of-chapter references provide recommendations for further reading and research.
PART 1: ACHIEVING HEALTH FOR ALL
1. Foundational Concepts in Population and Public Health
2. Methods of Investigation of Population Health Issues
3. Approaches to Achieving Health for All
PART 2: THE HEALTH OF CANADIANS
4. Health Indicators and the Health Status of Canadians
5. Determinants of Health and Disease
6. Groups Experiencing Health Inequities
7. Indigenous Health
8. Noncommunicable Diseases
9. Mental Health and Substance Use
10. Communicable Disease
11. Environmental Health
12. Occupational Health and Disease
PART 3: THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
13. The Evolution of National Health Insurance
14. Federal and Provincial Health Organizations
15. Funding, Expenditures, and Resources
16. Delivery of Health Care Services
17. Human Resources for Health
18. Looking Forward
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders Canada 2021
- 27th March 2020
- Saunders Canada
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Bonnie Fournier, RN, MSc, PhD
Associate Professor School of Nursing Thompson Rivers University Kamloops, British Columbia
Dr. Fareen Karachiwalla, MD, MPH, CCFP, FRCPC
Associate Medical Officer of Health York Region Public Health Newmarket, Ontario; Adjunct Assistant Professor School of Medicine Queen’s University Kingston, Ontario; Adjunct Lecturer Clinical Public Health Division Dalla Lana School of Public Health University of Toronto Toronto, Ontario
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.