Psychotherapy for the Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse provides the nurse psychotherapist with a useful “how-to” primer that contains practical techniques and interventions without a lot of theoretical jargon. Topics include the basics of psychotherapy, from how to respond to a patient’s initial call to termination of care. Selected approaches, interpersonal, cognitive-behavioral, and psychodynamic psychotherapy are highlighted with discussion of evidence-base research. Specific techniques for working with commonly seen patient populations that require special consideration: those who have experienced trauma, children, and older adults are included. In addition, how to integrate psychopharmacology and psychotherapy is discussed in detail.
- A straightforward approach to psychotherapy using a holistic nursing framework.
- Latest findings on the neurophysiology of psychotherapy including research on attachment, therapeutic relationships, and trauma.
- Evidence-based research for all approaches and populations discussed.
- Provides treatment hierarchy for decision making in selecting strategies for treatment from the initial contact and assessment to termination.
- Step-by-step guide to building the nurse-patient relationship in order to achieve quality outcomes. Includes detailed instructions on therapeutic communication techniques.
- Detailed instructions teach you how to use the latest therapeutic communication techniques.
- Includes all patient populations from children to the older adult with special emphasis on working with traumatized patients.
- Comprehensive appendices provide quick access to helpful forms and diagnostic tools specific to psychotherapy nursing practice.
PART I: GETTING STARTED
1. The Nurse Psychotherapist and a Framework for Practice
2. The Neurophysiology of Psychotherapy
3. The Initial Contact and Therapeutic Communication
4. Assessment and Diagnosis
5. The Frame and Working Toward Change
PART II: PSYCHOTHERAPY APPROACHES AND CONSIDERATIONS
6. Cognitive-Behavioral Psychotherapy
7. Interpersonal Psychotherapy
8. Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
9. Psychopharmacotherapy and Psychotherapy
PART III: PSYCHOTHERAPY WITH SPECIAL POPULATIONS
10. Stabilization for Trauma and Dissociation
11. Processing Trauma
12. Psychotherapy with Children
13. Psychotherapy with Older Adults
PART IV: TERMINATION
14. Termination and Outcome Evaluation
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2008
- 6th November 2007
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN: