Psychophysical Analysis of Visual Space focuses on the use of psychophysics in the analysis of visual space, with emphasis on space perception and physiological optics. Topics covered include null-size judgment, ratio-size judgment, frontal-size judgment, and distance judgment, as well as selected physiological correlates of size and distance judgments. A theoretical analysis of model reduction is also presented.
This volume consists of 11 chapters and opens with an overview of basic definitions and evidence in support of the constancy hypothesis. A psychophysical approach to the problems of visual space is described. The reader is then introduced to null-size judgment, ratio-size judgment, frontal-size judgment, and distance judgment, with emphasis on the importance of the retina as a reference for spatial judgments and how size judgments of targets at different distances can be related to judgments of targets at a constant distance. Some of the important relationships between ocular physiology and size-distance judgments are also examined, paying particular attention to size and distance judgments which relate to the variables of convergence, accommodation, angle-of-regard, and binocular disparity. The remaining chapters look at two stimulus correlates of distance judgments: frontal size and longitudinal size.
This book will be of interest to physiologists, physicists, and experimental psychologists.
- Analysis of Visual Space
- Null-Size Judgment: Distance Constant
- Ratio-Size Judgment: Distance Constant
- Ratio-Size Production: Distance Variable
- Theoretical Analysis of Frontal-Size Judgments
- Frontal-Size Judgments: Intermediate Stimulus-Uncertainty
- Selected Physiological Correlates of Size and Distance Judgments
- Theoretical Analysis of Model Reduction
- Distance Judgments: Frontal-Size Correlates
- Distance Judgments: Longitudinal-Size Correlates
- Conclusions and Contrasts Appendix: Three Philosophies of Measurement Author Index Subject Index
- No. of pages:
- © Pergamon 1970
- 1st January 1970
- eBook ISBN: