- The Nursing Process
2. Anxiety and Related Disorders New Care Plan!
3. Mood Disorders 2 New Care Plans!
4. Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders
2 New Care Plans!
5. Adjustment Disorders New Care Plan!
6. Personality Disorders New Care Plan!
7. Disorders of Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence 2 New Care Plans!
8. Cognitive Disorders: Delirium, Dementia, and Amnestic
9. Substance-Related Disorders
10. Eating Disorders New Care Plan!
11. Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders New Care Plan!
A. Suicide Assessment and Intervention Guidelines
B. Crisis and Crisis Intervention
C. Client Rights
D. Guidelines for Seclusion and Restraint Based on JCAHO Standard
E. Grief and Loss: Caregivers, Clients, and Families
F. Spirituality as a Dimension of the Person New Care Plan!
G. Psychiatric and Psychosocial Therapies
I. Comparison of Developmental Theories
J. Defense Mechanisms and Strategies
K. Standards of Care for Psychiatric – Mental Health Nursing Practice
L. DSM-IV-TR Classification
The most comprehensive psychiatric nursing care planning text available assists students and practitioners in providing effective care in a variety of settings. Clear presentation of information, consistent use of the nursing process, correlation of nursing and medical diagnoses, and prioritization of interventions make this text an invaluable resource. Grounded in the latest classification of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR) and the most current list of NANDA-approved nursing diagnoses, this text covers a wide range of disorders, their psychopathology, and appropriate nursing interventions with rationales. Care plans use real clinical situations and include therapeutic and nontherapeutic dialogue examples to familiarize nurses with likely scenarios and equip them with the tools they need to feel confident in any clinical setting.
- The first chapter, The Nursing Process, effectively describes the central principles of psychiatric nursing practice in detailing the ANA's six-step nursing process along with additional information on therapeutic nurse-client communication skills, client history and assessment tools, NIC and NOC, and more.
- The six-step nursing process format is maintained throughout to emphasize a practice-oriented, problem-solving approach to psychiatric care.
- Major psychiatric disorders are reviewed consistently and completely with sections including Etiology, Epidemiology, Assessment and Diagnostic Criteria, Interventions, and Prognosis and Discharge Criteria. With this basis of knowledge, relevant care plans are offered in the second section of each chapter.
- Care plans based on DSM-IV-TR medical and NANDA nursing diagnoses are logically and consistently organized with Assessment Data, Outcome Criteria, Planning and Implementation, and Evaluation sections.
- Assessment Data sections include detailed related factors (etiology) and defining characteristics or risk factors as appropriate for the specific diagnosis.
- Outcome Criteria sections give the reader clear indications of the desired end state.
- Planning and Implementation sections list specific, relevant, and practical nursing interventions with rationales in a clear, comprehensible two-column format. UNIQUE! Therapeutic and non-therapeutic dialogue examples are presented throughout to promote more effective client communication.
- Evaluation sections state the role of outcome evaluation as a critical and ongoing step in the nursing process.
- Client and Family Teaching boxes include Nurse Needs to Know and Teach Client and Family sections covering all aspects of post-treatment instructions for clients and caregivers.
- DSM-IV-TR boxes list all related DSM-IV-TR diagnoses for quick reference.
- Helpful appendices contain information and strategies th
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2007
- 16th May 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Certified Clinical Specialist, Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing; Associate Faculty, Mt. San Jacinto College, Menifee, CA; Clinical Nurse Specialist and Educator, Sharp HealthCare, Mesa Vista Hospital, San Diego, CA
Certified Clinical Specialist, Adult Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing; Professor, Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA; Consultant, San Diego, CA