- UNIQUE! Balanced nursing-medical approach offers strong baseline coverage of the nursing process and interdisciplinary interventions and focuses on what psychiatric nurses actually do.
- Complete coverage of the nursing process features the six-step problem-solving method and how to put it into practice.
- DSM-IV-TR Criteria boxes list categories of mental disorders and the criteria for diagnosing them.
- Nursing care plans provide care guidelines for each plan and include a brief case study, followed by assessment, diagnosis, goal setting, interventions with rationales, and evaluation.
- UNIQUE! Clinical Alert boxes address issues critical to the safety or well-being of the client.
- Case studies depict effective nursing care strategies and promote critical thinking.
- Research for Evidence-Based Practice boxes discuss the implications of current research studies.
- Client and Family Teaching Guidelines boxes focus on the issues confronting families when a member suffers from mental illness.
- UNIQUE! Medication Key Facts boxes highlight the most common psychopharmacologic interventions along with safe and effective use.
- Nursing Assessment Questions boxes include questions that should be asked in the assessment of a particular disorder.
- Clinical Symptoms boxes help you apply content to the real world.
- Additional Treatment Modalities boxes summarize other modalities and interventions used in conjunction with nursing interventions in the treatment of
PART I: FOUNDATIONS FOR PSYCHIATRIC MENTAL HEALTH NURSING
1. Psychiatric Nursing: Theory, Principles, and Trends
2. Nursing Practice in the Clinical Setting
3. The Nursing Process and Standards of Care
4. Therapeutic Communication: Interviews and Interventions
PART II: BIOLOGIC AND PSYCHOSOCIAL PRINCIPLES FOR MENTAL HEALTH NURSING
5. Adaptation to Stress
6. Neurobiology in Mental Health and Mental Disorder
7. Human Development Across the Life Span
8. Culture, Ethnicity, and Spirituality: A Global Perspective
9. Legal and Ethical Aspects in Clinical Practice
PART III: PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS
10. Anxiety and Related Disorders
11. Somatoform, Factitious, and Dissociative Disorders
12. Mood Disorders: Depression, Bipolar, and Adjustment Disorders
13. Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders
14. Personality Disorders
15. Substance Related Disorders and Addictive Behaviors
16. Cognitive Disorders: Delirium, Dementia, and Amnestic Disorders
17. Disorders of Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence
18. Eating Disorders: Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa
19. Sleep Disorders: Dyssomnias and Parasomnias
20. Sexual Disorders: Sexual Dysfunctions and Paraphilias
PART IV: CRISIS AND PSYCHIATRIC EMERGENCIES
21. Crisis: Theory and Intervention
22. Suicide: Prevention and Intervention
23. Violence: Anger, Abuse, and Agg