- Content draws connections between ethical values, principles, and theory, as relating to the Foundational Behaviors of Professional Practice.
- Over 100 case studies promote critical thinking with clinical examples of ethical situations and conflicts that correspond to the domains identified by the Board of Certification (BOC) Role Delineation Study.
- Learning Activities chapters at the end of each section provide over 60 activities designed to link content and theory to clinical practice.
- Organized into three levels, Level One consists of an introduction to professional ethics in athletic training, Level Two focuses on professional enculturation, and Level Three explores the application of ethical concepts in professional life.
- Good to Know boxes highlight information throughout the chapters to enrich content and identify applications in the field.
- Professional Pearl boxes contain quotes from NATA Hall of Fame Inductees, offering advice about the challenges often faced in the profession.
- Chapter outlines, learning objectives, and ethical concepts at the beginning of each chapter lay out the information in an easy-to-follow framework.
- Appendices include self-assessment and evaluation tools that encourage you to assess where your own responses fall within ethical boundaries.
- Sections on cultural competence and ethical dilemmas increase awareness of diversity by exploring scenarios in which the practitioner's and patient's morals may conflict.
Part I: Level I: Introduction to Professional Ethics in Athletic Training
Section I: The Profession of Athletic Training
1. Aspects of the Profession
2. Learning Activities: Linking Content to Practice
Section II: Linking Theory to Practice: A Review and Applications
3. Ethics Education: A Framework for Success
4. Ethical Discovery: Approaches to Learning
5. Ethical Decision Making
6. Learning Activities: Linking Content to Practice
Part II: Level II: Professional Enculturation
Section I: Professional Ethics 101
7. Introduction to Ethics
8. Self-Awareness and Cultivation of Personal Identity
9. Development of Moral Behavior: Step 1—Moral Sensitivity
10. Learning Activities: Linking Content to Practice
Section II: Professional Ethics 201
11. Professional Awareness and the Cultivation of Professional Identity
12. The Professional Therapeutic Relationship
13. The Development of Moral Behavior: Step 2—Moral Reasoning
14. Learning Activities: Linking Content to Practice
Section III: Professional Ethics 301
15. Moral Theory: Deontology, Teleology, and Virtue Ethics
16. Development of Moral Behavior: Step 3—Moral Character
17. Organizational Awareness and the Preservation of Professional Identity in Context
18. Learning Activities: Linking Content to Practice
Part III: Level III: Professional Application
19. Learning Activities: Linking Content to Practice
Appendix A: National Athletic Trainers’ Association Compliance and Non-Compliance Issues
Appendix B: Assessment Tools
Appendix C: Sample Rubrics for Ethical Decision Making
Appendix D: Writing about Moral Issues
Appendix E: Sample Course Design and Delivery for Teaching Ethics: Multiple Stag