Written by and for Nurse Practitioners from a unique collaborative perspective, Primary Care: A Collaborative Practice, 4th Edition, prepares you to provide care for all of the major disorders of adults seen in the outpatient setting. Evidence-based content reflects the latest guidelines for primary care of hundreds of conditions, including hypertension, diabetes, and sexually transmitted infections. Now in full color, the 4th Edition includes chapters on emerging topics such as genetics, obesity, lifestyle management, and emergency preparedness. Combining a special blend of academic and clinical expertise, the author team provides a practical text/reference that promotes a truly collaborative primary care practice.
- Comprehensive, evidence-based content incorporates the latest standardized guidelines for primary care in today's fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Unique! A collaborative perspective, reflecting the key roles of NPs, MDs, PAs, PharmDs, and others, promotes seamless continuity of care.
- A consistent format from chapter to chapters facilitates learning and clinical reference value.
- Diagnostics and Differential Diagnosis boxes provide a quick reference for diagnosing disorders and helping to develop effective management plans.
- Physician Consultation icons highlight situations or conditions in which consultation is either recommended or necessary.
- Emergency Referral icons identify signs and symptoms that indicate the need for immediate referral to an emergency facility.
- Co-management with Specialists discussions help you provide truly collaborative care in the outpatient setting.
- Complementary and alternative therapies are addressed where supported by solid research evidence.
Part 1: Introduction
1. The Changing Landscape of Collaborative Practice
2. Translating Research Into Clinical Practice
3. The Patient, the Provider, and Primary Care: An Integrated Perspective
4. Professional Integrity and Decision-Making in Primary Care
5. Population-Based Care for Primary Care Providers
6. Reimbursement for Nurse Practitioner Services
7. Health Literacy, Health Care Disparities, and Culturally Competent Primary Care
8. Genetic Considerations in Primary Care NEW!
Part 2: Issues in Primary Care
9. Adolescent Issues
10. Pregnancy and Prenatal Care
11. Lactation Guidance
12. Principles of Geriatric Primary Care and Common Geriatric Syndromes
13. Palliative and End-of Life Care
14. Sleep Disorders
15. Chronic Pain
Part 3: Health Maintenance
17. Obesity and Weight Management NEW!
18. Lifestyle Management NEW!
19. Routine Health Screening and Immunization
20. Principles of Occupational and Environmental Health in Primary Care
21. College Health
22. Health Care and the International Traveler
23. Presurgical Clearance
24. Preparticipation Sports Physical
Part 4: Office Emergencies
25. Emergency Preparedness, Recognition, and Response in Primary Care NEW!
26. Acute Bronchospasm
28. Bites and Stings
29. Bradycardia and Tachycardia
30. Cardiac Arrest
31. Chemical Exposure
32. Electrical Injuries
33. Head Trauma
36. Sexual Assault
38. Thermal Injuries
Part 5: Evaluation and Management of Skin Disorders
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Assistant Clinical Professor, Simmons College, Boston, Massachusetts; Adjunct Faculty, University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston, Massachusetts; Coastal Medical Associates, Salisbury, Massachusetts
Director, DNP Program, Chamberlain College of Nursing, Doral, Florida
Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Manager, UVa-Healthsouth Rehabilitation Hospital, Charlottesville, Virginia
Adult/Gerontologic Nurse Practitioner, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire; Instructor in Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire