Specifically designed to address the expanding role of physical therapists in primary care, Primary Care for the Physical Therapist: Examination and Triage, 3rd Edition covers all the information and skills you need to be successful in the field. Updated content throughout the text helps you stay up to date on the best practices involving patient examination, medical screening, patient management, and communication. This new third edition also features a new chapter on electrodiagnostic testing, a new chapter on patients with a history of trauma, and updated information on how to screen and examine the healthy population. It’s a must-have resource for any physical therapist wanting to obtain the technical expertise and clinical decision-making abilities to meet the challenges of a changing profession.
- Tailored content reflects the specific needs of physical therapists in primary care.
- Emphasis on communication skills underscores this essential aspect of quality patient care.
- Overview of the physical examination is provided in the text to ground therapists in the basis for differential diagnosis and recognizing conditions.
SECTION I: FOUNDATIONS
1. Primary Care Team: Now and Beyond in Physical Therapy
2. Evidence-Based Measures for Diagnosis and Outcomes
3. Health and Wellness Perspective in Primary Care
4. The Patient Interview: The Science Behind the Art of Skillful Communication
SECTION II: EXAMINATION/EVALUATION
5. Symptom Investigation: Part I-Chief Complaint by Body Region
6. Symptom Investigation: Part II-Chief Complaint by Symptom
7. Symptom Investigation: Part III-History of Trauma
8. Patient Health History Including Identifying Health Risk Factors
9. Review of Systems
10. The Patient Interview: The Physical Examination Begins
11. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Systems Review
12. Upper Quarter Screening Examination
13. Lower Quarter Screening Examination
14. Diagnostic Imaging and Physical Therapist Practice
15. Laboratory Tests and Values
16. Electrophysiological Testing: Nerve Conduction Studies (NCS) & Electromyography (EMG)
SECTION III: LIFE CYCLE/SPECIAL POPULATIONS
17. The Adolescent Population
18. The Obstetric Patient
19. The Geriatric Population
20. “Do-Not-Want-to Miss List” of Nine Conditions
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 1st January 2020
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Executive Vice-President American Physical Therapy Association Alexandria, VA Professor Emeritus University of Wisconsin–Madison Program in Physical Therapy Madison, Wisconsin
Assistant Professor Gannon University Doctor of Physical Therapy Program Ruskin, FL
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.