Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Preparation of Phytopharmaceuticals for the Management of Disorders: The Development of Nutraceuticals and Traditional Medicine presents comprehensive coverage and recent advances surrounding phytopharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals and traditional and alternative systems of medicines. Sections cover the concepts of phytopharmaceuticals, their history, and current highlights in phytomedicine. Also included are classifications of crude drugs, herbal remedies and toxicity, traditional and alternative systems of medicine, nanotechnology applications, and herbal cosmeticology. Final sections cover applications of microbiology and biotechnology in drug discovery.
This book provides key information for everyone interested in drug discovery, including medicinal chemists, nutritionists, biochemists, toxicologists, drug developers and health care professionals. Students, professors and researchers working in the area of pharmaceutical sciences and beyond will also find the book useful.
- Includes the history and current highlights in phytomedicine, along with classifications of crude drugs, herbal drug technologies and herbal cosmeticology
- Provides detailed information on herbal remedies and toxicity, traditional and alternative systems of medicine, and applications of microbiology and biotechnology in drug discovery
- Discusses the nutritional and health benefits of nutraceuticals and how they help in the management and treatment of metabolic diseases
Researchers and scientists working in the area of drug discovery and natural products
PART I: Therapeutic Potentials of Phytopharmaceuticals
1. Introduction to Phytopharmaceuticals
2. Phytomedicine: History to Current Highlights
3. Classification of Crude Drugs
4. Herbal Remedies: Toxicity and Regulations
5. From Phytotoxins to Drugs: A Review of Highly Toxic Compounds of Novel Importance
6. Herbal Drug Technology
7. The Role of Encapsulation in Herbal Drug Technology
8. Novel, Safe and Effective Tablet Delivery Technology for Mosquito Vector Eradication
9. Applications of Nanotechnology in Pharmaceutical Products
10. In vitro and in vivo toxicity of metal nanoparticles and their drug delivery applications
11. Tissue Culture and its scope in production of phytopharmaceuticals
12. Herbal Cosmeticology
13. Herbal Wound Healing Agents
14. Natural agents against Neuronal Disorders
15. Alternative System of Medicines, Developments and Prospects in India
PART II: Application of Microbiology and Novel Techniques in Drug Discovery Procedures
16. Microorganisms as Sources of Drugs
17. Principles of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology for Pharmaceutical Practices
18. Biofilm: Its Formation, Role in Human Infections and its Elimination using Herbal Drugs
PART III: Health Benefits of Nutraceuticals
19. Nutraceuticals and their Impact on Human Health
20. Roles of Nutraceuticals in the treatment and management of metabolic diseases
21. Moringa oleifera: A healthier choice to overcome malnutrition
22. Wheat straw: A useful by-product of agriculture
23. Effect of germination processing on bioactive compounds of cereals and legumes: A comprehensive review
24. Bacteriocin producing lactic acid bacteria: their relevance to human nutrition and health
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 15th October 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Chukwuebuka Egbuna is a chartered chemist, a chemical analyst, and an academic researcher. He is a member of the Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria (ICCON), the Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NSBMB), the Society of Quality Assurance (SQA) (USA), and the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) (United Kingdom). He has been engaged in a number of roles at New Divine Favor Pharmaceutical Industry Limited, Akuzor Nkpor, Anambra State, Nigeria, and Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (COOU) in Nigeria. He has collaboratively worked and published quite a number of research articles in the area of phytochemistry, nutrition and toxicology and related areas. He is a reviewer and editorial board member of various journals, including serving as a website administrator for the Tropical Journal of Applied Natural Sciences (TJANS), a journal of the faculty of Natural Sciences, COOU and as an advisory board member under toxicology for the book publisher, Cambridge Scholar Publishing. His primary research interests are in phytochemistry, nutrition and toxicology, food and medicinal chemistry, and analytical biochemistry.
Department of Biochemistry, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Univ, 431124 Anambra State, Nigeria
Abhay P. Mishra, Ph.D., is an Academic Researcher at the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, Srinagar Garhwal-246174, Uttarakhand, India, since Sept. 2010. Prior to joining Garhwal University, he held the position of Lecturer at the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Uttaranchal College of Science and Technology, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. He has vast experience in the field of teaching and research. He has published many peer-reviewed scientific articles, books and presented papers at many national and international conferences. He is acting as a reviewer for many journals and has extensive professional affiliations. He is a seasoned researcher, filed an Indian patent (Published) on Nutraceutical tablet formulation from the high altitude medicinal plant of the Indian Himalayan Region. A. P. Mishra having twin interests in Phytochemistry, Natural Product Research, Analytical Method Development, and Herbal Formulation Development. He has won several academic awards.
Academic Researcher, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, Uttarakhand, India
Megh R. Goyal, PhD, PE, is a Retired Professor in Agricultural and Biomedical Engineering from the General Engineering Department in the College of Engineering at University of Puerto Rico–Mayaguez Campus; and Senior Acquisitions Editor and Senior Technical Editor-in-Chief in Agriculture and Biomedical Engineering for Apple Academic Press Inc. He has worked as a Soil Conservation Inspector and as a Research Assistant at Haryana Agricultural University and Ohio State University. During his professional career of 45 years, he has received many prestigious awards. A prolific author and editor, he has written more than 200 journal articles and textbooks and has edited over 25 books. He received his BSc degree in engineering from Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India; his MSc and PhD degrees from Ohio State University, Columbus; and his Master of Divinity degree from Puerto Rico Evangelical Seminary, Hato Rey, Puerto Rico, USA.
Retd. Distinguished Prof, Univ of Puerto Rico - Mayaguez Campus Senior Editor in Chief for Apple Academic Press, Inc.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.