The skills required by children’s nurses are many and varied, and are undertaken in a variety of settings. This book provides a clinical manual of common practices. Each practice is research-based and presented in a common format which covers: Objectives, Rationale, Factors to note, Guidelines, Positioning, Equipment, Method, Special observations and possible complications, and References and further reading. The guidelines have been written specifically for children’s nursing by contributors from well-known children’s units. They are not simply adaptations from adult practices and therefore recognise the unique differences between adult and children’s nursing. The introductory section covers common concepts and infection control. There are also appendices on the use of play as a distraction, and on complementary therapies.
- The common format of each practice makes the book easy to use and refer to in a clinical setting.
- Each practice is based on the latest research to ensure it is evidence-based and up to date
- Introductory chapters cover issues common to all practices to make the book easier to use.
- The appendix on play reinforces its common usage as a distraction technique
- A chapter on complementary therapies explains these as they are becoming more widespread
- All practices have been reviewed by regional centres to avoid parochialism
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2010
- 17th June 2010
- Churchill Livingstone
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Head of Continuing Healthcare, Sussex Downs and Weald Primary Care Trust, Sussex, UK
Head of Practice Development (Acute Services Division), RPDU, Yorkhill Site, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Glasgow, UK
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.