- Empahasis on differential diagnosis from a presenting-problem point of view..
- Covers the social and preventative aspects of child health
- Covers the common diseases of childhood and their treatment with a presenting-problem approach
- Contextualises the disease in description of social, genetic and epidemiological factors.
- Clinical example boxes throughout
- Key learning points in Practical Points boxes throughout
- Clearly sign-posted text
Free online access to the whole book through www.studentconsult.com, where you will also find:
- Nearly 400 interactive self-assessment questions
- Further reading suggetions
- Links to other helpful online resources
- Additional illustrations
Part 1 Current paediatrics.
1.1 Child health and disease
1.2 Child health in a global context
Part 2 Clinical assessment.
2.1 The clinical consultation
2.2 Developmental surveillance and assessment
Part 3 Social and preventative paediatrics.
3.1 The child and the Family
3.2 Indigenous culture and health
3.7 Failure to thrive
3.8 Developmental disability
3.9 Child abuse
3.10 Sudden unexpected death in infancy
3.11 Care of the adolescent
3.13 Sleep problems
3.14 Refugee health
Part 4 Behaviour and mental health needs in childhood.
4.1 Life events of normal children
4.2 Common mental health problems
4.3 Hyperactivity and inattention
4.4 Major psychiatric disorders
Part 5 Paediatric emergencies.
5.1 Emergencies: causes and assessment
5.3 Poisoning and envenomation
Part 6 Fluid replacement.
6.1 Fluid replacement therapy
Part 7 Principles of imaging in childhood.
Part 8 Common orthopaedic problems.
8.1 Orthopaedic problems
Part 9 Common paediatric surgical problems.
9.1 Surgical conditions in older children
Part 10 Inherited and metabolic problems.
10.1 Birth defects, prenatal diagnosis and teratogens
10.2 Modern genetics
10.3 The dysmorphic child
10.4 Genetic counselling
10.5 Inborn errors of metabolism
Part 11 Neonatal problems.
11.1 The newborn infant: stabilisation and examination
11.2 Low birth weight, prematurity and jaundice in infancy
11.3 Breathing problems in the newborn
11.4 Congenital and perinatal infections
11.5 Surgical conditions in the newborn
Part 12 Infections
12.1 Infectious disease
12.2 Bone and joint infections
12.3 Meningitis and encephalitis
12.4 Infections in tropical and developing countries
Part 13 Allergy, immunity and inflamation.