This book will allow you to gain practical skills and know-how in grounding, bonding, lightning & surge protection. Few topics generate as much controversy and argument as that of grounding and the associated topics of surge protection, shielding and lightning protection of electrical and electronic systems. Poor grounding practice can be the cause of continual and intermittent difficult-to-diagnose problems in a facility. This book looks at these issues from a fresh yet practical perspective and enables you to reduce expensive downtime on your plant and equipment to a minimum by correct application of these principles.
- Apply the various methods of grounding electrical systems
- Detail the applicable national Standards
- Describe the purposes of grounding and bonding
- List the types of systems that cannot be grounded
- Describe what systems can be operated ungrounded
- Correctly shield sensitive communications cables from noise and interference
- Apply practical knowledge of surge and transient protection
- Troubleshoot and fix grounding and surge problems
- Design, install and test an effective grounding system for electronic equipment
- Understand lightning and how to minimize its impact on your facility
- Protect sensitive equipment from lightning
· An engineer's guide to earthing, shielding, lightning and surge protection designed to deliver reliable equipment and communications systems that comply with international and national codes · Discover how to reduce plant downtime and intermittent faults by implementing best-practice grounding/earthing techniques · Learn the principles of cable shielding in communication networks
Professional engineers, Specialist students, Instrumentation & Control Engineers, Consulting Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Project Engineers, Maintenance Engineers, Electrical Contractors, Safety Professionals, Consulting Engineers, Electricians, Electrical Inspectors, Power System Protection & Control Engineers, Building Service Designers, Data Systems Planners and Managers, Electrical and Instrumentation Technicians
Introduction and Basics; Recommended Design and Installation Practices; Fundamentals of Grounding for Building Electrical Systems; Typical Rules to be Applied; Grounding and Noise Control; Electrical Faults; Applications of Grounding and Bonding; Lightning; Surge and Transient Protection; Power Conditioning
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2004
- 21st July 2004
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Vijayaraghavan and Associates, Mumbai, India
Mark is an Australian Physiotherapy Association titled Sport Physiotherapist, a Fellow of the Australian Sports Medicine Federation, and also a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management.
He is currently the Executive Officer of the Sports Medicine Australia Queensland Branch, and also holds adjunct academic positions as Associate Professor in the Griffith Health Institute at Griffith University and Assistant Professor of Physiotherapy in the School of Health Sciences and Medicine at Bond University.
His previous positions include the Executive Director of the Australian Physiotherapy Association New South Wales Branch and the Director of Physiotherapy for the Sydney 2000 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Mark’s international sports event experience as a Sports Physiotherapist also includes the Athens 2004 Olympic Games, the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games and the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, as well as numerous other national and international events.
APA Sports Physiotherapist, Fellow, Australian Sports Medicine Federation (FASMF), Assistant Professor in Physiotherapy Bond University Senior Staff Engineer, IDC Technologies, Perth, Australia.
Malcom Barnes is a professional engineer with over thirty-five years' experience specialising in automation, switchgear and process control equipment. He is a director of Automated Control Systems based in Perth, Western Australia. Malcom has presented numerous courses in automation and variable speed drives throughout the world.
Automated Control Systems, Perth, Australia
"Unlike many books on grounding and shielding, this one provides straight-forward, practical solutions to commonly encountered real-world situations and enables one to better understand proper ground methods and to quickly recognize and solve existing grounding issues in a facility. Also, it covers not only low voltage grounding techniques but also power system grounding, which is generally not well covered in literature...There are some very good examples illustrating how motor start-ups can induce a noise signal in signal cables through capacitive coupling into the conduit supplying the power to the motor...There are also many cases showing how ground loops can be formed and ways to prevent them...The reader will get a very good understanding of proper grounding techniques by reading this book and will also learn about the existing standards for grounding...Readers who would benefit from this book include power engineers, consultants, instrumentation and control engineers, technicians, and anyone who designs layout for power and electronics systems or anyone trying to fix grounding issues." - IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine