Practical Design and Application of MPC is a self-learning resource on how to design, tune and deploy an MPC using Matlab® and Simulink®. This reference is one of the most detailed publications on how to design and tune MPC controllers. Examples presented range from double-Mass spring system, ship heading and speed control, robustness analysis through Monte-Carlo simulations, photovoltaic optimal control, and energy management of power-split and air-handling control. Readers will also learn how to embed the designed MPC controller in a real-time platform such as Arduino®.
The selected problems are nonlinear and challenging, and thus serve as an excellent experimental, dynamic system to show the reader the capability of MPC. The step-by-step solutions of the problems are thoroughly documented to allow the reader to easily replicate the results. Furthermore, the Matlab® and Simulink® codes for the solutions are available for free download. Readers can connect with the authors through the dedicated website which includes additional free resources (www.practicalmpc.com).
- Illustrates how to design, tune and deploy MPC for projects in a quick manner.
- Demonstrates a variety of applications that are solved using Matlab® and Simulink®.
- Bridges the gap in providing a number of realistic problems with very hands-on training.
- Provides MATLAB® and Simulink® code solutions. This includes nonlinear plant models that the reader can use for other projects and research work.
- Presents application problems with solutions to help reinforce the information learned.
Academics and Professional controls engineers working especially with self-driving cars, electric vehicles, smart devices
2. heoretical Foundation of MPC
3. MPC Design for a Double Mass-Spring System
4. System Identification for a Ship
5. Single MPC Design for a Ship
6. Multiple MPC Design for a Ship
7. Monte-Carlo Simulations and Robustness Analysis for Multiple MPC of a Ship
8. MPC Design for Photovoltaic Cells
9. Real Time Embedded Target Application of MPC
10. MPC Design for Air-Handling Control of a Diesel Engine
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2018
- 1st May 2018
- Paperback ISBN:
He has industrial and academic experience in the field of dynamics and controls. He is currently working as the Control Technologies Leader at Cummins Inc, USA. He severs as a reviewer in many journals and conferences such as Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics. He is the sole author of Springer's book "Virtual Reality for Matlab and Simulink Users". He also has published 19 journal and conference papers. Dr. Khaled is a green-belt six sigma certified. He received the status of "Outstanding Researcher" granted by the U.S Government in 2012
ntrols and Engineering Systems Manager at Hillphoenix Inc, Conyers, Georgia, USA
Bibin Pattel has a Master of Science in Mechanical engineering and more than nine years of industrial experience in the field of Controls. He is currently working as a Technical Advisor with KPIT Infosystems Inc, USA. Bibin has worked on vehicle, aftertreatment, air-handling and engine modelling and controls and on board diagnostic development. He is an expert in Matlab and Simulink as well as Hardware and Software solutions for the control of diesel engines. He has 6 patents applications and published 4 journal and conference papers
Technical Advisor with KPIT Infosystems Inc, Columbus, IN, USA