Designed to help therapists provide post-surgical rehabilitation based on best practices and evidence-based research, this comprehensive reference presents effective guidelines for postsurgical rehabilitation interventions. Its authoritative material is drawn from the most current literature in the field as well as contributions from expert physical therapists, occupational therapists, and athletic trainers affiliated with the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS). A DVD accompanies the book, featuring over 60 minutes of video of patients demonstrating various therapeutic exercises spanning the different phases of postsurgical rehabilitation. Examples include hand therapy procedures, working with post-surgical patients with cerebral palsy, sports patient injuries, and pediatric procedures for disorders such as torticollis.
- Material represents the best practices of experts with the Hospital of Special Surgery, one of the best known and most respected orthopedic hospitals.
- Phases of treatment are defined in tables to clearly show goals, precautions, treatment strategies and criteria for surgery.
- Many of the treatment strategies are shown in videos on the accompanying DVD, enabling the user to watch the procedure that is discussed in the text.
- Information on pediatric and geriatric patients explores differing strategies for treating these populations.
- Treatments specific to sports injuries are presented, highlighting the different rehabilitation procedures available for athletes.
- An entire section on hand rehabilitation provides the latest information for hand specialists.
- Information on the latest treatment strategies for hip replacement presents complete information on one of the most common procedures.
- Easy-to-follow guidelines enable practitioners to look up a procedure and quickly see the recommended rehabilitation strategy.
- A troubleshooting section provides solutions for common problems that may occur following each phase of the rehabilitation process.
- Broad coverage addresses both traditional techniques as well as newer methods in a single resource.
- Clear photos and illustrations show how to correctly perform the techniques described in the book.
- Total Hip Arthroplasty
2. Total Knee Arthroplasty
3. Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
4. Total Elbow Arthroplasty
5. Metacarpophalangeal Joint Arthroplasty
6. Hip Fractures
7. Elbow Fractures and Dislocations
8. Radial Head Replacements
9. Contracture Release of the Elbow
10. Hinged Dynamic External Fixation of the Elbow
11. Distal Radial Fractures
12. Schaphoid Fracture
13. Phalangeal and Metacarpal Fractures
14. Flexor Tendon Repairs
15. Extensor Tendon Repairs
16. Flexor Tenolysis
17. Upper Extremity Sugical Intervention in Patients with Cerebral Palsy: Musculotendinous Procedures
18. Ulnar Nerve Transposition
19. Thumb Carpometacarpal Joint Arthroplasty
20. Ulnar Collateral Ligament Repair
21. Volar Plate Arthroplasty
22. PIP Joint Replacement
23. Dynamic External Fixation of the PIP Joint
24. Dupuytren’s Fascietomy
25. Lower Extremity Surgical Intervention in Patients with Cerebral Palsy: Bone and Musculotendinous Procedures
26. Spinal Fusion in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
27. Congential Muscular Torticollis
28. Lumbar Microdiscetomy
29. Rehabilitation for Osteoporosis
30. Adult Lumbar Fusion
31. Hip Arthroscopy
32. Rehabilitation following Microfracture Procedure of the Knee
33. Patella Tendon Repair
34. Proximal & Distal Realignment
35. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
36. Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
37. Meniscal Repair/Transplantation
38. Rehabilitation following Achilles Tendon Repair
39. Lateral Ankle Reconstruction
40. Rotator Cuff Repair: Arthroscopic and Open
41. Sub-Acromial Decompression
42. Anterior Stabilization Surgery
43. Posterior Stabilization Surgery
44. SLAP Repair
45. UCL Reconstruction
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2006
- 8th June 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Assistant Vice-President, Department of Rehabilitation, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
Section Manager, Inpatient Therapy, Department of Rehabilitation, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
Director, Inpatient Division, Department of Rehabilitation, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY