2. Overview of Polymer Science and Engineering
3. Overview of the Science and Engineering of Polymeric Foams
4. Design and Use of Polymeric Foams for Various Applications
5. Design and Use of Polymeric Foams in Automotive and Transportation Applications
6. Exploration of Polymeric Foams in Composite Sandwich Structures and their Applications
Polymeric Foams Structure-Property-Performance: A Design Guide is a response to the design challenges faced by engineers in a growing market with evolving standards, new regulations and an ever-increasing variety of application types for polymeric foam. Bernard Obi, an author with wide experience in testing, characterizing and applying polymer foams, approaches this emerging complexity with a practical design methodology that focuses on understanding the relationship between structure-properties of polymeric foams and their performance attributes. The book introduces the fundamentals of polymer and foam science and engineering, but also goes more in-depth, covering foam processing, properties and uses for a variety of applications.
By connecting the diverse technologies of polymer science to those from foam science, and by linking both micro- and macro-structure-property relationships to key performance attributes, the book gives engineers the information required to solve pressing design problems involving the use of polymeric foams and to optimize foam performance. With a focus on applications in the automotive and transportation industries, as well as uses of foams in structural composites for light weight applications, the author provides numerous case studies and design examples of real-life industrial problems from various industries and their solutions.
- Provides the science and engineering fundamentals relevant for solving polymer foam application problems
- Offers an exceptionally practical methodology to tackle the increasing complexity of real-world design challenges faced by engineers working with foams
- Discusses numerous case studies and design examples, with a focus on automotive and transportation
- Utilizes a practical design methodology focused on understanding the relationship between structure-properties of polymeric foams and their performance attributes
Engineers involved in product design, production and manufacturing with plastic foams; Engineers involved in the design of processes and production facilities using plastic foams; Engineers engaged in key sectors that use plastic foams, such as automotive and aerospace, packaging, construction, sports and leisure equipment, medical devices, and energy; Polymer and Materials science and engineering graduates; Industrial researchers
- No. of pages:
- © William Andrew 2018
- 15th December 2017
- William Andrew
- Hardcover ISBN:
Bernard E. Obi, Research Scientist, Core R&D Material Science and Engineering Group, The Dow Chemical Company.
Research Scientist, Core R&D Material Science and Engineering Group, The Dow Chemical Company