Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Pollution Assessment for Sustainable Practices in Applied Sciences and Engineering provides an integrated reference for academics and professionals working on land, air, and water pollution. The protocols discussed and the extensive number of case studies help environmental engineers to quickly identify the correct process for projects under study.
The book is divided into four parts; each of the first three covers a separate environment: Geosphere, Atmosphere, and Hydrosphere. The first part covers ground assessment, contamination, geo-statistics, remote sensing, GIS, risk assessment and management, and environmental impact assessment. The second part covers atmospheric assessment topics, including the dynamics of contaminant transport, impacts of global warming, indoor and outdoor techniques and practice. The third part is dedicated to the hydrosphere including both the marine and fresh water environments. Finally, part four examines emerging issues in pollution assessment, from nanomaterials to artificial intelligence. There are a wide variety of case studies in the book to help bridge the gap between concept and practice.
Environmental Engineers will benefit from the integrated approach to pollution assessment across multiple spheres. Practicing engineers and students will also benefit from the case studies, which bring the practice side by side with fundamental concepts.
- Provides a comprehensive overview of pollution assessment
- Covers land, underground, water and air pollution
- Includes outdoor and indoor pollution assessment
- Presents case studies that help bridge the gap between concepts and practice
Environmental and civil/geotechnical engineers, consultants, researchers in universities and also professionals in regulatory agencies. Graduate students in Environmental Engineering and Environmental Sciences
Part I: Geosphere Pollution Transport
1. Sustainable Pollution Assessment Practices
2. Risk Analysis and Management
3. Environmental Remote Sensing
4. Geographic Information System: Spatial Data Structures, Models, and Case Studies
5. Geophysical Methods
6. Site Investigation
7. Subsurface Pollutant Transport
Part II: Atmosphere Pollution Assessment
8. Indoor Air Pollutants: Sources, Characteristics, and the Impact on Human Health and Wellbeing.
9. Outdoor Air Pollutants: Sources, Characteristics, and the Impact on Human Health and the Environment.
10. Modeling Air Pollution by Atmospheric Desert Dust
11. Troposphere Air Pollution: Aviation Industry's Case
12. Health Economics of Air Pollution
Part III: Hydrosphere (Marine Environment and Water Bodies) Assessment
13. Arabian Gulf Hydrodynamics and Environmental Impacts due to Climate Change and Coastal Effluents
14. Recent Analytical Methods for Risk Assessment of Emerging Organic Contaminants in Ecosystems
15. Water Quality at Jabel Ali, Dubai, UAE
16. Sediment Quality in Jabel Ali, Dubai, UAE
17. Inland Desalination: Techniques, Brine Management, and Environmental Concerns
Part IV: Emerging Issues in Environmental Pollution Assessment
18. Pollution Assessment of Nanomaterials
19. Noise Pollution Assessment and its Impact on Human Health and the Environment
20. Assessment of Radiation Pollution from Nuclear Power Plants
21. Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics for Geosciences and Remote Sensing: Theory and Application
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2021
- 1st November 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
A.M.O. Mohamed is currently employed by Zayed University as associate provost and chief academic officer. He earned his PhD in Civil Engineering from McGill University, Canada. He was then employed by McGill University as the associate director of the Geotechnical Research Centre and as lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics. He has also held many senior positions in the United Arab Emirates, including United Arab Emirates University (Deputy Assistant Provost for Research, Research Director, Director of Research Support and Services Unit, and Professor of Geotechnical and Geo-Environmental Engineering) and Abu Dhabi University (Dean of College of Research and Graduate Studies). Over the years, he was granted 10 patents, filed/published 8 patents; authored and coauthored 7 books; edited 11 books—published by Elsevier, Taylor & Francis, Balkema, A.A. and J. Ross Publishing. In addition, he has also published more than 250 papers in refereed journals and international refereed conference proceedings. Furthermore, he has been the recipient of several university and nationwide research accolades. He is currently the editor-in-chief of Developments in Arid Regions Research Series Published by Taylor & Francis; editorial board member of Journal of Environmental Geotechnics, Institute of Civil Engineering; executive board member of Arab Healthy Water Association, and of the International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics; editorial board member, International Journal of Recent Patents on Engineering; and the former editorin- chief of the Emirates Journal for Engineering Research.
Associate Provost and Chief Academic Officer, Zayed University, United Arab Emirates
Dr. Evan K. Paleologos is Professor and Chair of Civil Engineering, and Director of the Center in Sustainable Built Environment at Abu Dhabi University, United Arab Emirates. He received his PhD from the department of Hydrology and Water Resources, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Az, USA. His expertise is in the flow of water and the transport of contaminants in porous media. He is the author of two books on environmental risk analysis by McGraw-Hill and the Geological Society of America, and of over ninety journal and refereed proceedings papers. He is the recipient of numerous awards and honors in USA, while at the University of South Carolina, which include the “Researchers of Carolina” and the “Initializer” awards for founding the USC Center for Water Research and Policy. Subsequently in Greece, as faculty at the Technical University of Crete, Science Advisor to the Minister of Environment, and Deputy Chairman of the Athens Water Supply and Sewerage Co. In the UAE he has received the “2014-15 Ambassador,” the “2015-16 Distinguished Faculty,” and the “2016-17 Research” university-wide awards. He is Associate Editor of the Springer journal Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment.
Chair and Professor of Civil Engineering, Abu Dhabi University, United Arab Emirates
Prof F. M. Howari is professor of Environmental Sciences and Dean of College of Natural and Health Sciences at Zayed University. He served as Professor and Chair of the Department of Applied Sciences and Mathematics at Abu Dhabi University as well as a Director of Abu Dhabi University Center of Excellence of Environment, Health and Safety. He served as a Professor of Environmental Sciences; and Coordinator of Environmental Sciences Program at the University of Texas, PB. He also joined the Center for International Energy and Environmental Policy as program coordinator, and as an Environmental Scientist at the Bureau of Economic Geology at the University of Texas at Austin.
Professor of Environmental Sciences and Dean of the College of Natural and Health Sciences, Zayed University