Featuring analysis of healthcare issues and first-person stories, Policy & Politics in Nursing and Health Care helps you develop skills in influencing policy in today’s changing health care environment. 145 expert contributors present a wide range of topics in policies and politics, providing a more complete background than can be found in any other policy textbook on the market. Discussions include the latest updates on conflict management, health economics, lobbying, the use of media, and working with communities for change. The revised reprint includes a new appendix with coverage of the new Affordable Care Act. With these insights and strategies, you’ll be prepared to play a leadership role in the four spheres in which nurses are politically active: the workplace, government, professional organizations, and the community.
- Up-to-date coverage on the Affordable Care Act in an Appendix new to the revised reprint.
- Comprehensive coverage of healthcare policies and politics provides a broader understanding of nursing leadership and political activism, as well as complex business and financial issues.
- Expert authors make up a virtual Nursing Who's Who in healthcare policy, sharing information and personal perspectives gained in the crafting of healthcare policy.
- Taking Action essays include personal accounts of how nurses have participated in politics and what they have accomplished.
- Winner of several American Journal of Nursing "Book of the Year" awards!
Unit 1: Introduction to Policy and Politics in Nursing and Health Care
1. A Framework for Action in Policy and Politics
2. A Historical Perspective on Policy, Politics and Nursing
3. Learning the Ropes of Policy, Politics, and Advocacy
4. TAKING ACTION How I Learned the Ropes of Policy and Politics
5. Advocacy in Nursing and Health Care
6. A Primer on Political Philosophy
7. The Policy Process
8. Political Analysis and Strategies
9. Health Policy, Politics, and Professional Ethics
10. Using the Power of Media to Influence Health Policy and Politics
11. Communications Skills for Success in Policy and Politics
12. Conflict Management in Health Care: The Tipping Point Arrives
Unit 2: Health Care Delivery and Financing
13. The United States Health Care System
14. Financing Health Care in the United States
15. Could a National Health System Work in the United States?
16. A Primer on Health Economics
17. Reforming Medicare
18. Children’s Health Insurance Coverage: Medicaid and State Children’s Health Insurance Program
19. The United States Military Health System: Policy Challenges in Wartime and Peacetime
20. The Veteran’s Administration Health System: An Overview of Major Policy Issues
21. The Uninsured and Underinsured—On the Cusp of Health Reform
22. Policy Approaches to Address Health Disparities
23. The Rural Health Care Tundra
24. Long-Term Care Policy Issues
25. Home Care and Hospice: Evolving Policy
26. Achieving Mental Health Parity
27. Integrative Health: Pathway to Health Reform and a Healthier Nation
28. Nursing’s Influence on Drug Development and Safety
29. Chronic Care Policy: Medical Homes and Primary Ca
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 23rd September 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Rudin Professor, Co-Director of the Center for Health, Media, and Policy, Hunter College, City University of New York, New York, NY
Health Policy Consultant, Barnardsville, North Carolina
Captain, Nurse Corps, U.S. Navy (Retired), Brewster, Massachusetts