Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Police Psychology: New Trends in Forensic Psychological Science is a relatively new specialty that can be broadly defined as the application of psychological principles and methods to assist law enforcement. This publication aims to bring together the contributions of some of the most prolific authors in the field to bridge the gap between the knowledge base of researchers, practitioners, and policymakers regarding the interface of psychological sciences and law enforcement.
- Explores the contribution of psychology on the way patrol officers deal with offenders with mental illness or respond and assess the risk of vulnerable victims (e.g. domestic violence, sexual assault)
- Contains ethically correct investigation techniques
- Written by the foremost authorities on the subject from around the globe
Psychology, Psychiatry, Criminology, Police Sciences and Social Work students, researchers and professionals; law enforcement personnel; prosecutors, judges and other professionals involved in the judicial and penal system. Students and researchers in Forensic Psychology, Investigative Psychology, Forensic Sciences, Internal/Homeland Security, Criminal Investigation, Law and Criminal Justice
Introduction: Police Psychology and the Impact of Psychological Science on Policing
Paulo Marques, Mauro Paulino
Part I - Psychology in Police Culture and Law Enforcement Agencies
1. The Ethical Practice of Police Psychology
Jane Goodman-Delahunty, Anna Corbo-Crehan, Susan Brandon
2. The Role of the Psychologist in the Screening and Selection of Law Enforcement Applicants
Michael G. Aamodt, JoAnne Brewster
3. Incorporating Psychological Skills in Police Academy Training
Daniel M. Blumberg, Konstantinos Papazoglou, Sarah Creighton, Chuck Kaye
4. Burnout and the Psychological Impact of Policing: Trends and Coping Strategies
David Turgoose, Naomi Glover and Lucy Maddox
5.Trauma and critical incident exposure in law enforcement
Lea Katrine Jorgensen, Ask Elklit
6. From Ideation to Realization: Exploring the problem of Police Officer Suicide
Part II - Psychology applied to Policing Issues
7. Psychological jurisprudence and the role of police psychology in community psychology
Bruce A. Arrigo, Brian G. Sellers
8.The Role of Psychological Science in Public Order Policing
Neil Williams, Clifford Stott
9. Improving Police Procedures for Dealing with Mental Illness
Ronald Roesch, Ilvy Goossens
10. Communication as a Weapon for Resolving Hostage and Barricaded Situations
Michel Saint-Yves, Jeff Thompson, Lynne Bibeau
11. Contributions of Psychological Science on Police Response to Domestic Violence
Mauro Filipe Paulino, Miguel Oliveira Rodrigues, Stephen J. Morewitz
12. The Contribution of Psychological Science in Police Response to Sexual Assaults
Julien Chopin, Eric Beauregard
Part III - Psychology in Criminal Investigation
13. Beyond Reasonable Doubt: How to Think Like an Expert Detective
14. Developing a Psychological Research Base for Criminal Investigations: Academics and Practioners Working Together
Nathan Ryan, Mark Kebbell
15. Threat Assessment in Law Enforcement: Advances in the Appraisal and Management of Violence Risk by Police
16. Investigative Interviewing: Exploring the Contamination Timeline of Witness Memory
Gary Dalton, Rebecca Milne
17. Is Confession Really Necessary? The Use of Effective Interviewing Techniques to Maximize Disclosure from Suspects
Paulo Barbosa Marques, David Keatley, Dave Walsh
18. Offender Profiling and Police Psychology: Criminal Evidence and Investigative Applications
Paulo Marques, Mauro Filipe Paulino
Contributions of Psychology to Policing
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 1st September 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Paulo Barbosa Marques is a chartered clinical and forensic psychologist and a law enforcement officer. He began his law enforcement career serving as a frontline police officer in the Polícia de Segurança Pública (PSP) and later as a criminal investigator at the Criminal Investigation Department – Organized Crime Brigade. Paulo is now an inspector at the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (SEF), the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service. He holds a Master’s in Law and Security from the Faculty of Law - NOVA University of Lisbon, a postgraduate diploma in Internal Security, and a Licentiate degree in Psychology. Over the past years, his research has focused on the police officers, prosecutors and judges perceptions of investigative interviewing operational practices and training needs in Portugal. Paulo regularly presents at conferences to both academics and practitioners.
Inspector, Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (SEF), the Portuguese Immigration and Borders
Mauro Paulino is currently a coordinator at Mind, Institute of Clinical and Forensic Psychology (Lisbon, Portugal). He is also a forensic psychologist consultant at the Instituto Nacional de Medicina Legal e Ciências Forenses, I.P. (Gabinete Médico-Legal e Forense Península Setúbal). Mauro received his Master's degree in Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences at the University of Lisbon, Faculty of Medicine completing his research in the field of spousal violence. He is a PhD student at the Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciences, University of Coimbra (Portugal). He is also a member of the Center for Research in Neuropsychology and Cognitive Behavioral Intervention (CINEICC) and the Psychological Assessment and Psychometrics Laboratory (PsyAssessmentLab). He is an author and coordinator of several books and is a guest lecturer at various national and international universities.
Clinical and Forensic Psychologist, Instituto Nacional de Medicina Legal e Ciencias Forenses
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.