Written in a clear, engaging style, Plunkett’s Procedures for the Medical Administrative Assistant, 5th Edition provides instruction for all the essential office procedures required by today's medical office administrative assistants in Canada — whether they work in a medical office, a complementary care office, or in a hospital setting. It contains the most current information available in the field, and specifically reflects health care in Canada. Chapters address the diverse skills and knowledge required by a medical office administrative assistant, such as good communication, privacy, customer service, stress management, medical transcription, filing, appointment booking, physical and virtual meetings, billing (ICD-10-CA), and more. This new edition covers Electronic Medical Records (EMR), and features an eye-catching new four colour design and a new Evolve companion site with invaluable instructor and student resources.
- Written in an accessible, clear, engaging, and easy to understand style.
- Key terms, learning objectives, end-of-chapter assignments, and discussion questions throughout.
- Examples and exercises delve deeper into topic areas.
- Extensive offering of working papers and templates allow for extra practice on tasks and scenarios encountered in the medical office environment.
- Quintessentially Canadian content and viewpoint.
- Continuation of the beloved Dr. Plunkett theme.
Part 1: Introduction to the Health Care Environment
1. Your Future as a Medical Administrative Assistant
2. Health Associations and the Law
Part 2: Tools and Procedures for the Medical Administrative Assistant
3. Reception, Booking Appointments and Clinical Responsibilities
4. Patient Records Management
5. The Telephone and eCommunication Tools
6. Office Correspondence: Mail, Memos, Letters, and Envelopes
7. Health Insurance Plans
8. Financial Records
9. Managing Office Supplies
10. The Procedures Manual
11. Meeting Organization
12. Hospital Records, Requisitions, and Reports
Part 3: Career Development
13. Your Job Search
Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Used in the Health Care Field
Appendix B: Laboratory Medicine
Appendix C: Pharmacology
Appendix D: Reference Resources
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders Canada 2021
- 2nd March 2020
- Saunders Canada
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Heather D Ramsay, Bachelor of Arts (Psychology/Sociology), University of Prince Edward Island Master of Education (Distance Education), Athabasca University
Learning Manager, Holland College
Marie Rutherford, Bachelor of Arts-General Studies, Nursing Diploma (SGH/Centennial College)
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.