Focused on the importance of play in evaluating and treating children with disabilities, Play in Occupational Therapy for Children, 2nd Edition presents play theories and assessments along with the theories and assessments reached from research conducted by occupational therapists and occupational scientists. This edition also includes five new chapters that reflect the latest developments in the areas of autism, play assessment, play for institutionalized toddlers, school-based play, and play and assistive technology in an early intervention program to provide you with the most up-to-date information available.
- Case Studies highlighted in special boxes provide snapshots of real-life situations and solutions to help you apply key concepts in the clinical setting.
- Clinical trials and outcome studies emphasize evidence-based practice.
- Key Terms, Chapter Objectives, and Review Questions help you assess and evaluate what you’ve learned.
Part I: Introduction to Play and Occupational Therapy
1. Play and Occupational Therapy
Part II: Assessment of Play
2. The Play History Interview: A Narrative Approach
3. The Revised Knox Preschool Play Scale
4. The Test of Playfulness (ToP)
5. Assessment of Play and Leisure in Adolescents
6. Family Narratives and Play Assessment
Part III: Play as a Means for Enhancing Development and Skill Acquisition
7. The Power of Object Play for Infants and Toddlers
8. Play to Support Development of Institutionalized Toddlers
9. Play and Sensory Integration in Early Childhood
10. Play in Middle Childhood
11. Play in School-Based Occupational Therapy
Part IV: Play as a Goal of Intervention
12. Integrating Children with Disabilities into Family Play
13. Fostering Parent-Infant Playfulness in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
14. Play for Children with Autism: Structure and Experience
15. Doing With—Not Doing To: Play and the Child with Cerebral Palsy
16. Accessing Play Through Assistive Technology
17. Play and Assistive Technology in an Early Intervention Program
18. Storytelling, Storymaking, and Fantasy Play
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2008
- 13th December 2007
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Chief, Division of Occupational Therapy, Director, Occupational Therapy Graduate Program, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Professor, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.