- Electronic ISBN 9780080922089
- Print ISBN 9780123743800
In this second edition, the author includes greatly expanded treatments of families of lycophytes, ferns, gymnosperms, and flowering plants (all with full-color plates), a new chapter on species concepts and the role of systematics in conservation biology, and a new appendix summarizing basic statistical and morphometric techniques used in plant systematics studies. An explanation of maximum likelihood and Bayesian inference algorithms is included in methods of phylogenetic inference, and chapters on morphology and plant nomenclature have been augmented with new material.
The second edition of Plant Systematics has been expanded to include:
* Fifteen fern families, 9 gymnosperm families, and an increase of angiosperm family treatments from 100 to 129. Each family description includes a plate of full color photographs, illustrating exemplars of the group along with dissected and labeled material to show diagnostic features.
* A new chapter on species concepts and the role and impact of plant systematics in conservation biology.
* A new appendix on statistical and morphometric techniques in plant systematics.
* In addition, the second edition contains more detailed explanations of maximum likelihood and Bayesian phylogeny inference methods, an expanded coverage and glossary of morphological terms, and an updated chapter on botanical nomenclature.
UNIT I SYSTEMATICS
Chapter 1 Plant Systematics: an Overview
Chapter 2 Phylogenetic Systematics
UNIT II EVOLUTION AND DIVERSITY OF PLANTS
Chapter 3 Evolution and Diversity of Green and Land Plants
Chapter 4 Evolution and Diversity of Vascular Plants
Chapter 5 Evolution and Diversity of Woody and Seed Plants
Chapter 6 Evolution of Flowering Plants
Chapter 7 Diversity and Classification of Flowering Plants: Amborellales, Nymphaeales, Austrobaileyales, Magnoliids, Ceratophyllales, and Monocots
Chapter 8 Diversity and Classification of Flowering Plants: Eudicots
UNIT III SYSTEMATIC EVIDENCE AND DESCRIPTIVE TERMINOLOGY
Chapter 9 Plant Morphology
Chapter 10 Plant Anatomy and Physiology
Chapter 11 Plant Embryology
Chapter 12 Palynology
Chapter 13 Plant Reproductive Biology
Chapter 14 Plant Molecular Systematics
UNIT IV RESOURCES IN PLANT SYSTEMATICS
Chapter 15 Plant Identification
Chapter 16 Plant Nomenclature
Chapter 17 Plant Collecting and Documentation
Chapter 18 Herbaria and Data Information Systems
UNIT V SPECIES CONCEPTS AND CONSERVATION BIOLOGY
Chapter 19 Species and Conservation in Systematics
Appendix 1 Plant Description
Appendix 2 Botanical Illustrations
Appendix 3 Scientific Journals in Plant Systematics
Appendix 4 Statistics and Morphometrics in Plant Systematics
Glossary of terms
Praise for the first edition: "This publication, many years in the making, represents a masterly treatment of vascular plant groups and the principles of plant systematics as well as incorporating the latest concepts in phylogenetics and methodologies. It is erudite and most importantly - user friendly, especially students. This text will serve as the standard for many years to come." – Botanical Society of America