Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Plant nutrients are the vital elements essential for plant growth and survival, with key roles in adapting to challenging environments. Each nutrient, whether required in relatively large (macronutrients) or minute concentrations (micronutrients) plays a unique role in plant life cycle. Both the insufficient and surplus concentrations of these nutrients may render negative impacts on plant growth and development and therefore their homeostasis is considered critical for optimal plant growth and yield.
Plant Nutrition and Food Security in the Era of Climate Change comprehensively reviews all critical plant nutrients. Chapters include topics such as: biological roles, uptake and transport of vital nutrients in plants; an in-depth review of the roles of potassium, calcium, magnesium and trace element; molecular breeding approaches for enhanced plant nutrients; and exploring the rhizosphere microbiome for enhance nutrient availability.
Written by leading experts in the field of plant biology, this is an essential read for researchers and scientists interested in plant science, agronomy, food security and environmental science.
- A comprehensive review of all the important plant nutrients
- Discusses plant homeostasis under natural and changing environments
- Introduces novel approaches and state-of-the-art tool for enhancing the levels of targeted nutrients within plant tissues
Researchers interested in plant science, agronomy, food security and environmental science
1. Plant essential nutrients and food security: An overview
2. Plant nutritional homeostasis: A climate change perspective
3. Biological roles, uptake and transport of vital nutrients in plants
4. Plant nutrients for growth, development and physiology
5. Nutritional homeostasis and plant secondary metabolites
6. Role of nitrogen in plant growth, development and stress tolerance
7. Calcium in plants: an essential nutrient and a signal messenger
8. Insights into the role of phosphorus in regulating plant growth and stress tolerance
9. Potassium, a vital regulator in plant growth under natural and stress environments
10. Sulphur nutrition in plants
11. Magnesium mediated control of multiple plant processes
12. Significance of manganese in plant growth, yield and stress tolerance
13. Iron and zinc dependent control of plant metabolism
14. Deficiency and toxicity of boron in plants
15. Effects of high and low levels of copper and cobalt on plants
16. Molybdenum: An underestimated nutrient for enhanced plant growth and abiotic stress tolerance
17. Interplay between sodium and chloride decide the plant’s fate under in salt and drought stress conditions
18. Regulation of inter-nutritional stoichiometry in plants
19. miRNA-mediated regulation of nutrient homeostasis in plants
20. Systems biology approaches for understanding genes and regulatory networks responsible for nutrient uptake in plants
21. Hormonal control of plant nutrient uptake and assimilation
22. Detrimental impacts of water and air pollution on plant nutrition and food quality
23. Elevated CO2 generates hidden hunger by reducing mineral contents in cereal crops
24. Crop residue management to maintain soil and plant health: Current and future
25. Principles of plant nutrition in vertical or soilless agriculture
26. Biotechnological tools for manipulation plant nutritional status
27. Genome engineering for enhanced plant nutrients
28. Molecular breeding approaches for generating nutrient-efficient crops
29. Biofortification strategies for essential nutrients in crops
30. Foliar applications of micronutrients for enhanced plant productivity and crop yield
31. Plant growth rhizobacteria applications for plant nutrition management
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2022
- 1st September 2021
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Vinay Kumar is an Associate Professor at Post-Graduate Department of Biotechnology, Modern College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Ganeshkhind, Pune, India and as a Visiting Faculty at the Department of Environmental Sciences, Savitribai Phule University, Pune, India. He completed his Ph.D. in Biotechnology from Savitribai Phule Pune University in 2009. He has published more than 50 peer reviewed research/ review articles, 20 book chapters and has edited 6 books for Springer, and Wiley, and this one for Elsevier. He has more than 2100 citations. He is a recipient of Government of India’s Science and Engineering Board, Department of Science and Technology (SERB-DST) Young Scientist Award in 2011. His current research interests include elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying environmental stress responses and tolerance in plants. He has been a Guest Editor for Physiologia Plantarum, and Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, besides working as a reviewer for several journals of repute. He has received several grants from funding agencies including DBT, DST and SERB (Govt. of India) among others. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9569-2411\
Alice Hogge and Arthur A. Baer Distinguished Service Professor of Pathology, Biologic Sciences Division and the Pritzker Medical School, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Dr Ashish K. Srivastava received his PhD in 2012 in Biotechnology and in 2018, he was awarded the Young Scientist Platinum Award from the National Academy of Sciences in India (NASI). He has over 30 publications, edited 1 book and contributed to several book chapters.
Nuclear Agriculture and Biotechnology Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Center, Trombay; Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai, India
Dr. Penna Suprasanna is the Head of the Nuclear Agriculture and Biotechnology Division in the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre. He received a PhD in Genetics in 1986 and his research interests include nuclear agriculture, plant biotechnology, plant genetic manipulation and mutant development. He is an editorial board member of several prestigious journals including Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, Current Plant Biology and Physiology & Molecular Biology of Plants. He has over 140 publications and has edited several books.
Head, Nuclear Agriculture and Biotechnology Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.