Understanding Motor Performance in Children
1 Evidence-Based Decision-Making in Pediatric Physical Therapy
2 The Child's Development of Functional Movement
3 Motor Control: Developmental Aspects of Motor Control in Skill Acquisition
4 Motor Learning: Theories and Strategies for the Practitioner
5 Musculoskeletal Development and Adaptation
6 Physical Fitness during Childhood and Adolescence
Management of Musculoskeletal Impairment
7 Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
8 Spinal Conditions
9 Congenital Muscular Torticollis
10 Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita
11 Osteogenesis Imperfecta
12 Muscular Dystrophy and Spinal Muscle Atrophy
13 Limb Deficiencies
14 Orthopedic Conditions
15 Sports Injuries in Children
Management of Neurologic Impairment
16 Developmental Coordination Disorder
17 Children with Motor and Cognitive Impairments
18 Cerebral Palsy
19 Brachial Plexus Injury
20 Spinal Cord Injury
21 Brain Injuries: Traumatic Brain Injuries, Near Drowning, and Brain Tumors
Management of Cardiopulmonary Conditions
23 Children Requiring Long TermVentilator Assistance
24 Cystic Fibrosis
25 Asthma: Multi-System Implications
26 Thoracic Surgery
Special Settings and Special Considerations
27 The Environment of Intervention
28 The Special Care Nursery
29 Community-based Services for Birth to Three Years
30 The Educational Environment
31 The Burn Unit
32 Transition to Adulthood for Children with Disabilities
Special Topics (Available on the companion Evolve website)
E1 Gait: Development and Analysis
E2 Genomics and Genetic Syndromes Affecting Movement
E4 Assistive Technology
Used as both a core textbook in PT programs and as a clinical reference, Physical Therapy for Children, 4th Edition, provides the essential information needed by PTs, both student and professional, when working with children. Like the previous bestselling editions, the 4th edition follows the practice pattern categories of the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice and uses the IFC model of the disabling process as it presents up-to-date evidence-based coverage of treatment. In this latest edition, Suzann Campbell DeLapp, Robert J. Palisano, and Margo N. Orlin have added more case studies and video clips, additional chapters and Medline-linked references online, and Evidence to Practice boxes to make it easy to find and remember important information.
- Provides comprehensive foundational knowledge in decision making, screening, development, motor control, and motor learning, the impairments of body function and structure, and the PT management of pediatric disorders.
- Reflects a family-centered care model throughout to help you understand how to involve children and their caregivers in developing and implementing intervention plans.
- Emphasizes an evidence-based approach that incorporates the latest research for the best outcomes.
- Follows the practice pattern guidelines of the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, 2nd Edition which sets the standard for physical therapy practice.
- Features the International Classification of Function, Disability, and Health (ICF) of the World Health Organization (WHO) as the model for the disabling process, emphasizing activity rather than functional limitations and participation rather than disability in keeping with the book’s focus on prevention of disability.
- Provides extensive case studies that show the practical application of material covered in the text and are often accompanied by online video clips illustrating the condition and its management.
- Makes it easy to access key information with plenty of tables and boxes that organize and summarize important points.
- Clearly demonstrates important concepts and clinical conditions you’ll encounter in practice with over 800 illustrations.
- Takes learning to a deeper level with additional resources on the Evolve website featuring:
- Over 40 video clips that correspond to case studies and demonstrate conditions found in each chapter
- Helpful resources, including web links
- Questions and exercises you’ll find helpful when preparing for the pediatric specialist certification exam
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 24th January 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health and Human Development Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
Professor, Drexel University, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, Philadelphia, PA
Associate Professor and Interim Chair, Drexel University, Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania