Section 1. Basic Concepts in Neurology
Applied neuroanatomy and neurophysiology Normal motor control. Medical diagnosis of neurological conditions. Principles of physiotherapy assessment and outcome measures. Abnormalities of muscle tone and movement. Plasticity
Section 2. Neurological and Neuromuscular Conditions
Stroke. Brain injury. Spinal cord injury. Peripheral nerve injuries. Multiple sclerosis. Parkinson's disease. Huntington's disease. Disorders of nerve I: Motor neurone disease. Disorders of Nerve II: Polyneuropathies. Disorders of muscle.
Section 3. Lifetime Disorders of Childhood Onset
General introduction to paediatric neurology. Developmental neurology. The cerebral palsies and motor learning disorders. Neural tube defects: Spina bifida and hydrocephalus. Muscle disorders in childhood
Section 4. Treatment Approaches to Neurological Rehabilitation
Theoretical basis of treatment concepts. Musculoskeletal treatment concepts applied to neurology. 1. Adverse neural tension. 2. Muscle imbalance. Specific treatment techniques . Physical management of abnormal tone and movement. Pain management in neurological rehabilitation. Clinical psychology in neurological rehabilitation. Glossary of drug treatments in neurological rehabilitation. Index
This book provides a comprehensive introduction to the basic concepts of neurology, specific neurological conditions, and the related physical therapy treatment approaches used in rehabilitation. It brings together contributions from an experienced, multidisciplinary team of clinicians in the field of neurological rehabilitation, ensuring the reader will come away with practical knowledge of work being done in the field. Well-researched, fully referenced, and clinically up to date, this text is a good introduction for students as well as a helpful reference for practicing physical therapists.
- This research-based text includes extensive scientific references and case histories, covering a wide array of important topics.
- Thorough definitions of neurological conditions provide a strong base for all future learning.
- Information on the etiology, prevalence, incidence, and epidemiology of these conditions prepares the reader for future practice.
- Coverage of anatomy and physiology, diagnostic and clinical signs, and assessment and outcome of each condition offers the most expansive coverage available.
- Material on medical and physical management, as well as multidisciplinary team work, gives the reader a practical explanation of how to deal with a variety of real-life situations.
- Content on relationships with patients provides the reader with a method of setting goals for their patients and themselves.
- Background information on physiology and physical therapy presents a clear link between the two areas.
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby Ltd. 2005
- 13th October 2004
- Mosby Ltd.
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor of Neuromusculoskeletal Rehabilitation, School of Health Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK