With an easy-to-read approach and unmatched learning support, Physical Examination & Health Assessment, 6th Edition offers a clear, logical, and holistic approach to physical exam across the lifespan. Detailed illustrations, summary checklists, and new learning resources ensure that you learn all the skills you need to know. This gold standard in physical exam reflects what is going on in nursing today with coverage of emerging trends and new evidence-based content. It's easy to see why this text is, far and away, #1 in this market!
This item is a stand-alone text.
- A clear, conversational writing style makes learning easier.
- A two-column format distinguishes normal findings from abnormal findings, and uses color, step-by-step photos to clarify examination techniques and expected findings.
- Over 1,000 full-color illustrations present anatomy and physiology, examination techniques, and abnormal findings.
- Developmental considerations help in caring for patients across the lifespan with age-specific assessment techniques for infants, children, adolescents, pregnant females, and older adults.
- Abnormal findings tables include over 300 pathology photos to help in recognizing, sorting, and describing abnormalities.
- Promoting a Healthy Lifestyle boxes enable patient teaching and health promotion while performing the health assessment.
- An emphasis on cultural competencies reflects today's care considerations for an increasingly diverse patient population.
- Documentation examples show how to record assessment findings in the patient's chart, using the SOAP format.
- Summary checklists provide a quick review of examination steps.
- Spanish-language translations on the inside back cover highlight important phrases for better communication during the physical examination.
- A companion Evolve website helps you review key content offering case studies with critical thinking questions, printable health promotion handouts, a head-to-toe examination video, heart and lung sounds, audio chapter summaries, and more.
UNIT 1: ASSESSMENT OF THE WHOLE PERSON
1. Evidence-Based Assessment
2. Cultural Competence: Cultural Care
3. The Interview
4. The Complete Health History
5. Mental Status Assessment
6. Substance Use Assessment NEW!
7. Domestic Violence Assessment
UNIT 2: APPROACH TO THE CLINICAL SETTING
8. Assessment Techniques and the Clinical Setting
9. General Survey, Measurement, Vital Signs
10. Pain Assessment: The Fifth Vital Sign
11. Nutritional Assessment
UNIT 3: PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
12. Skin, Hair, and Nails
13. Head, Face, and Neck, including Regional Lymphatics
16. Nose, Mouth, and Throat
17. Breasts and Regional Lymphatics
18. Thorax and Lungs
19. Heart and Neck Vessels
20. Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System
22. Musculoskeletal System
23. Neurologic System
24. Male Genitourinary System
25. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
26. Female Genitourinary System
UNIT 4: INTEGRATION OF THE HEALTH SYSTEM
27. The Complete Health Assessment: Putting It All Together
28. Bedside Assessment of the Hospitalized Adult
29. The Pregnant Woman
30. Functional Assessment of the Older Adult
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 16th March 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor, School of Nursing, Illinois Wesleyan University; Nurse Practitioner, Community Health Care Clinic, Bloomington, Illinois