With straightforward, in-depth coverage of the use of physical agents to improve patient outcomes, Physical Agents in Rehabilitation: An Evidence-Based Approach to Practice, 5th Edition reflects how physical agents and modalities are being discussed in the classroom. This new edition brings the ideal balance of evidence and practical instruction to the learning and practice of physical agents in rehabilitation. Comprehensive coverage of all physical agents includes the mechanisms, clinical effects, and application techniques for thermal agents, ultrasound, electrical currents, electromagnetic radiation, hydrotherapy, traction, and compression. Plus, each chapter includes a scientific rationale and step-by-step instructions in the use of the agent(s), as well as up-to-date research support and new Find the Evidence tables. The new edition is supported with electronic ancillaries including review questions for students, PowerPoints®, and links to all references on Medline.
- Comprehensive coverage of all physical agents includes the mechanisms, clinical effects, and application techniques for thermal agents, ultrasound, electrical currents, electromagnetic radiation, hydrotherapy, traction, and compression.
- Find the Evidence tables guide the reader in finding up-to-date, patient-specific evidence using the PICO framework.
- UNIQUE Step-by-step illustrated application techniques boxes guide you in reproducing effective treatment options.
- Electronic ancillaries
- Electrical Stimulation, Ultrasound & Laser Light Handbook helps you to understand the material and can be printed out for quick reference to use in the clinical setting.
Part I: Introduction to Physical Agents
1. The Physiology of Physical Agents
2. Physical Agents in Clinical Practice
Part II: Pathology and Patient Problems
3. Inflammation and Tissue Repair
4. Pain and Pain Management
5. Tone Abnormalities
6. Motion Restrictions
Part III: Thermal Agents
7. Introduction to Thermal Agents
8. Superficial Cold and Heat
Part: IV: Electrical Currents
11. Introduction to Electrotherapy
12. Electrical Currents for Muscle Contraction
13. Electrical Currents for Pain Control
14. Electrical Currents for Soft Tissue Healing
15. Electromyographic (EMG) Biofeedback
Part V: Electromagnetic Agents
16. Lasers and Light
17. Ultraviolet Therapy
Part VI: Mechanical Agents
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2018
- 2nd October 2017
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Oregon Health and Science University, Department of Neurology; Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, OR