This well respected, comprehensive textbook presents the complete diagnosis and treatment of the most common conditions encountered in the care of adults, and written for easier understanding of the subject matter. Known for its solid, balanced presentation of medical and nursing management, it also features in-depth coverage of pathophysiology. The eighth edition brings together a superior new author team and includes outstanding content and features for today's medical-surgical nursing
Pathophysiology, medical management, and nursing management are presented authoritatively.
Patient and family teaching are emphasized.
Content on collaborative management stresses the importance of collaboration in care.
Health promotion and prevention are integrated throughout to stress the importance of ongoing care.
Guidelines for Safe Practice boxes provide step by step instructions.
Common Medications tables summarize key drug group information and nursing considerations.
Clinical Manifestations boxes are integrated throughout and summarize important indications.
Gerontologic Considerations boxes provide unique elements to consider in the care of the older adult.
Risk Factor boxes alert the student to important considerations in the care of specific conditions.
Research boxes are integrated throughout to provide applications to today's nursing practice.
Actual examples of 18 Clinical Pathways provide samples of this collaborative clinical tool.
Healthy People 2010 boxes include the most up-to-date health promotion and prevention objectives.
Future Watch boxes alert readers to topics on the horizon like genetics and gender-based medicine.
Complementary & Alternative Therapies are integrated throughout to provide important alternatives to traditional techniques.
Nursing Care Plans that use NANDA nursing diagnoses, NIC priority interventions for specific conditions, and NOC suggested outcomes guide readers in selecting nursing activities.
Evidence-Based Practice boxes throughout emphasize the importance of applying research to practice.
Community-Based Care is introduced in a new chapter and incorporated, wherever appropriate.
UNIT 1 MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING TODAY
1. Scope of Medical-Surgical Nursing
2. The Aging Population
3. Healthy Lifestyles
4. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
5. Genetics and Disease
6. Infectious Diseases and Bioterrorism
7. Rehabilitation and Chronic Illness
8. Palliative and End-of-Life Care
UNIT 2 CARE SETTINGS
9. Emergency Care
10. Critical Care
11. Community-Based Care
12. Long-Term Care
UNIT 3 PERIOPERATIVE NURSING
13. Preoperative Nursing
14. Intraoperative Nursing
15. Postoperative Nursing
UNIT 4 COMMON PROBLEMS
17. Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalance
18. Acid-Base Imbalance
UNIT 5 IMMUNOLOGIC PROBLEMS
20. Assessment of the Immune System
21. Immunologic Problems
22. HIV Infection and AIDS
UNIT 6 RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS
24. Assessment of the Respiratory System
25. Upper Airway Problems
26. Lower Airway Problems
27. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
UNIT 7 CARDIOVASCULAR PROBLEMS
28. Assessment of the Cardiovascular System
29. Coronary Artery Disease and Dysrhythmias
30. Heart Failure, Valvular, and Inflammatory Problems of the Heart
31. Vascular Problems
UNIT 8 HEMATOLOGIC PROBLEMS
32. Assessment of the Hematologic System
33. Hematologic Problems
UNIT 9 RENAL PROBLEMS
34. Assessment of the Renal System
35. Kidney and Urinary Tract Problems
36. Kidney Failure
UNIT 10 ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS
37. Assessment of the Endocrine System
38. Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal Gland Problems
39. Diabetes Mellitus and Hypoglycemia
UNIT 11 GASTROINTESTINAL PROBLEMS
40. Assessment of the Gastrointestinal System
41. Mouth and Esophagus Problems
42. Stomach and Duodenum Problems
43. Intestinal Problems
44. Gallbladder and Exocrine Pancreatic Problems
UNIT 12 HEPATIC PROBLEMS
45. Assessment of the Hepatic Problems
46. Hepatic Problems
UNIT 13 NEUROLOGIC PROBLEMS
47. Assessment of the Nervous System
48. Traumatic and Neoplastic Problems of the Brain
49. Vascular and Degenerative Problems of the Brain
50. Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerve Problems
UNIT 14 MUSCULOSKELETAL PROBLEMS
51. Assessment of the Musculoskeletal Problems
52. Trauma to the Musculoskeletal System
53. Degenerative Disorders
54. Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
UNIT 15 REPRODUCTIVE PROBLEMS
55. Assessment of the Reproductive System
56. Female Reproductive Problems
57. Male Reproductive Problems
58. Problems of the Breast
59. Sexually Transmitted Diseases
UNIT 16 EYE PROBLEMS
60. Assessment of the Visual System
61. Problems of the Eye
UNIT 17 EAR PROBLEMS
62. Assessment of the Auditory System
63. Problems of the Ear
UNIT 18 SKIN PROBLEMS
64. Assessment of the Skin
65. Problems of the Skin
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2007
- 16th March 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Consultant in Nursing Education, Vero Beach, FL, USA
Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Professor, Eleanor Mann School of Nursing; Co-Director, Wally Cordes Teaching and Faculty Support Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, USA
Instructor, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Professor of Nursing, Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, KS, USA