Learn pharmacology with the trusted text written specifically for surgical technologists! Pharmacology for the Surgical Technologist, 5th Edition ensures that as an integral member of the operating room team, you have an in-depth understanding of surgical medications. It covers everything a surg tech needs to know, including basic pharmacology, dosage calculations, safe handling of medications, terminology, and drug effects and side effects. If you are interested in becoming a surgical first assistant, many chapters also include coverage of advanced practice. Written by Tiffany Howe, CST, CSFA, FAST, MBA, an educator, and Angie Burton, CST, FAST, a practicing surg tech, this book covers all areas of pharmacology designated in the AST Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology.
- Coverage of pharmacology meets the needs of the Surgical Technologist and includes all areas designated in the AST Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology, 6th Edition.
- Advanced Practice sections in each chapter provide content relating to the role of the first surgical assistant, helping students who want to advance to that role, and keeps this text useful as a professional reference.
- Concise three-part organization makes it easier for students to understand 1) the foundations of pharmacology, mathematics, and drug administration, 2) applications of pharmacology to the surgical environment, and 3) preoperative medications, types of anesthesia, and emergency situations.
- Caution boxes highlight drug alerts and surgical safety issues.
- Chapter study questions help students measure their knowledge and apply it to practice, and serve as an excellent review tool for classroom and certification exams.
- Insight boxes provide in-depth, cutting-edge information on specific products, procedures, and processes in the operating room.
- Learning features include Tech Tips from experts, Quick Question boxes with quizzes on foundational knowledge, Make It Simple boxes reviewing medical terminology, and Notes simplifying difficult concepts.
- Comprehensive glossary defines key terms highlighted in the text.
- Evolve companion website includes up-to-date drug monographs and additional exercises allowing students to practice math calculations.
UNIT I: INTRODUCTION TO PHARMACOLOGY
1. Basic Pharmacology
2. Medication Development, Regulation, and Resources
3. Pharmacology Mathematics
4. Medication Administration
UNIT II: APPLIED SURGICAL PHARMACOLOGY
6. Diagnostic Agents
9. Medications That Affect Coagulation
10. Ophthalmic Agents
11. Fluids and Irrigation Solutions
12. Antineoplastic Chemotherapy Agents
UNIT III: ANESTHESIA
13. Preoperative Medications
14. Patient Monitoring and Local and Regional Anesthesia
15. General Anesthesia
16. Emergency Situations
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2021
- 12th February 2020
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Vice President for Teaching and Learning Western Dakota Tech 800 Mickelson Drive Rapid City, South Dakota 605-718-2931 Tiffany.Howe@wdt.edu
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.