Part One: Pharmacology Basics
Study Skills Tips: Introduction to Study Skills Concepts
- The Nursing Process and Drug Therapy
- Pharmacologic Principles
- Life Span Considerations
- Cultural, Legal, and Ethical Considerations
- Gene Therapy and Pharmacogenetics
- Medication Errors: Preventing and Responding
- Patient Education and Drug Therapy
- Over-the-Counter Drugs and Herbal and Dietary Supplements
- Substance Abuse
- Photo Atlas of Drug Administration
- Analgesic Drugs
- General and Local Anesthetics
- Central Nervous System Depressants and Muscle Relaxants
- Central Nervous System Stimulant Drugs
- Antiepileptic Drugs
- Antiparkinsonian Drugs
- Psychotherapeutic Drugs
- Adrenergic Drugs
- Adrenergic-Blocking Drugs
- Cholinergic Drugs
- Cholinergic-Blocking Drugs
- Heart Failure Drugs
- Antidysrhythmic Drugs
Part Two: Drugs Affecting the Central Nervous System
Study Skills Tips: Using Vocabulary, Text Notation, and Language Conventions
Part Three: Drugs Affecting the Autonomic Nervous System
Study Skills Tips: Application of PURR (Prepare, Understand, Rehearse, Review)
Part Four: Drugs Affecting the Cardiovascular and Renal Systems
Study Skills Tips: Linking Learning and Text Notation
This market-leading text is known for presenting challenging content in a clear and consistent format that is engaging and readable. With an eye-catching design, full-color illustrations, and helpful, practical boxed features that highlight need-to-know information, the new edition of this bestseller continues its tradition of making pharmacology easy to learn and understand.
- A focus on prioritization identifies key nursing information and helps in preparation for the NCLEX® Examination.
- Presents drugs and their classes as they relate to different parts of the body, facilitating integration of the text with your other nursing courses.
- Features numerous full-color photos and illustrations pertaining to drug mechanisms of action and step-by-step illustrations depicting key steps in drug administration for various routes, so you can clearly see how drugs work in the body and how to administer medications safely and effectively.
- Drug Profiles highlight the pharmacokinetics and unique variations of individual drugs.
- Includes Patient Teaching Tips in each chapter to foster patient compliance and effective drug therapy.
- Helpful summary boxes are integrated throughout, covering Evidence-Based Practice, Preventing Medication Errors, Laboratory Values Related to Drug Therapy, Cultural Implications, Herbal Therapies, Life Span Considerations, Points to Remember, and Legal and Ethical Principles.
- Illustrated Study Skills Tips in each unit cover study tips, time management, and test taking strategies related specifically to nursing pharmacology.
- Includes a convenient tear-out IV Compatibilities Chart that alerts you to drugs that are incompatible when given intravenously.
- Evolve Student Resources include online access to additional chapter-specific NCLEX® review questions, animations, medication errors checklists, IV therapy checklists, printable handouts with need-to-know information about key drug classes, calculators, an audio glossary, answers to case studies and critical thinking activities in the text, frequently asked questions, content updates, nursing care plans covering key drug classes, and online appendices.
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Associate Professor Emeritus, School of Nursing, Old Dominion University, Virginia Beach, VA
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist and Coordinator of Clinical Pharmacy Services, Chesapeake Regional Medical Center; President, Drug Information Consultants, Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Harrington Health Informatics, LLC, Tucson, AZ; Director of Pharmacy, Northern Cochise Community Hospital, Willcox, AZ
Adjunct Faculty, School of Nursing, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia