Part of the Pet Lover's Guide series, this volume presents detailed information on alternative therapies for both dogs and cats. Written in a clear, simple manner, the book is divided into three main parts. Part 1, on diet and natural therapies, addresses the importance of diet for pets, and discusses the pros and cons of both commercially available and homemade diets. It also covers the basic explanations of the various alternative therapies widely used by holistic veterinarians and readily available to pet owners (e.g., supplements and herbs, acupuncture, homeopathy, chiropractic and other manual healing). Part 2 makes recommendations for specific health conditions, such as skin problems or digestive tract problems, and describes how various alternative therapies are used alone or in combination with allopathic therapies to treat or relieve the condition. Finally, Part 3 offers an overview of health maintenance and preventive health, and includes information about vaccinations, flea and tick control, weight control, and caring for the aging pet.
- Full-color line art and photographs illustrate various plants and herbs, and also techniques such as manual therapies, massage, and other hands-on healing techniques in a user-friendly and easily identifiable manner.
- Special boxes labeled "Where We Stand" present the author's strong opinions on specific (sometimes controversial) issues in a highlighted, easy-to-find format.
- Key terms are highlighted, making them easy to locate and reference — these terms are also included in the glossary with clear, simple definitions.
- Important information is bulleted and placed in a shaded box, bringing the main points to the reader's attention in a quick and useful way.
- Clear readability makes information easily accessible to pet owners, helping them to better understand natural therapies and their uses in treating pets. It also enables veterinarians to carry the book in their practices and recommend it to clients.
- Written by established, recognized veterinarians, this book is a reliable source for veterinary professionals.
1. Natural Therapies For Your Pet
Why Use Natural Therapies?
So What’s Different About Holistic Medicine?
Health and Well-Being Of Your Pet
Signs of Poor Health In Animals
The Urban Pet and Free Radicals
Stress and Health
2. Practical Steps to Prevent Disease and Improve Well-Being
The Annual Exam
How “Old” Is Your Pet Compared With Humans?
10-Point Home Health Check
When to Take Your Pet to The Veterinarian
10 Steps to Greater Well-Being And Health
3. Holistic Nutrition
Classes of Nutrients
What to Feed
4. Nutrition Boosters
Starting With Supplements
Using Herbal Medicines
A Pet Herbal Home Pharmacy
Herbal Material Medica
Indoor Herb Garden for Cats
6. Physical Therapies
Acupuncture and Acupressure
Trigger Point Therapy
Physical and Rehabilitation Therapy
The Principles of Homeopathy
8. Bach Flower Remedies
Dosage Choosing the Remedies
Aromatherapy (Dogs Only)
10. Detoxification Program
Some General Principles
Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS)
A Naturopathic Approach to Chronic Disease
Natural Therapies for Dysbiosis And Leaky Gut Syndrome
Basic Detoxification Program
Short-Term Modified Fast Of 1-3 Days
When to See Your Veterinarian
What to Ask Your Veterinarian
11. Skin and Coat
Maintaining Skin and Coat Health
Signs of Skin Dise
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2006
- 30th August 2005
- Paperback ISBN:
Acupuncture and Natural Therapies, Rozelle, New South Wales, Australia