With an emphasis on recognizing periodontal problems and suggesting appropriate treatment, Periodontology for the Dental Hygienist, 4th Edition, covers the essential information that dental hygienists need to provide effective client care. Full-color illustrations and a focus on evidence-based research help you understand and apply the latest in periodontal therapy, from initial patient evaluation to patient education. This edition includes updates on issues such as the links between oral and systemic health, dental implants, and the use of lasers. Written by Dorothy Perry, Phyllis Beemsterboer, and Gwen Essex, all experienced dental hygienists and clinical instructors, this reference also prepares you for success in classroom tests and on the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE).
- Comprehensive, dental hygiene-specific content provides an in-depth look at all the areas of periodontics that directly affect the dental hygienist’s role in oral health care.
- Focus on evidence-based practice reflects the best of current thinking as related to the treatment of gingival and periodontal diseases and conditions.
- High-quality radiographs, histographs, and color clinical photos depict many gingival and periodontic conditions, disease states, and treatments to help in patient evaluation and in determining an appropriate course of treatment.
- Logical, practical coverage addresses the day-to-day role of the dental hygienist in the care and treatment of the periodontium, progressing in sections from essential background information through the foundations of therapy, assessment of disease and conditions, treatment of diseases and conditions, and the results of therapy.
- Multiple-choice and short-answer study questions appear at the end of each chapter, helping you assess your knowledge and review for classroom and national board exams.
- Learning outcomes in each chapter identify the most important content and learning goals for each chapter.
- Key vocabulary is listed at the beginning of each chapter and noted in color within the text.
- References in each chapter direct you to specific classic and emerging studies.
- An Evolve companion website includes case studies, practice quizzes, flashcards, and image identification exercises.
PART I: BACKGROUND FOR THE STUDY OF PERIODONTAL THERAPY
1. Historical Perspectives on Dental Hygiene and Periodontology
2. Periodontium: Anatomic Characteristics and Host Response
3. Epidemiology of Periodontal Diseases
4. Microbiology of Periodontal Diseases
PART II: FOUNDATIONS OF PERIODONTAL THERAPY
5. Calculus and Other Disease-Associated Factors
6. Gingival Diseases
7. Periodontal Diseases
PART III: ASSESSMENT OF PERIODONTAL DISEASES
8. Clinical Assessment
9. Systemic Factors Influencing Periodontal Diseases,
10. Treatment Planning for the Periodontal Patient,
PART IV: TREATMENT FOR PERIODONTAL DISEASES
11. Occlusion and Temporomandibular Disorders
12. Plaque and Disease Control for the Periodontal Patient
13. Nonsurgical Periodontal Therapy
14. Periodontal Surgery
15. Dental Implants
16. Periodontal Emergencies
PART V: RESULTS OF PERIODONTAL THERAPY
17. Periodontal Maintenance and Prevention
18. Prognosis and Results after Periodontal Therapy
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 20th February 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Associate Professor and Vice Chair, Department of Preventive and Resorative Dental Sciences, Chair, Division of Dental Hygiene, School of Dentistry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Professor of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
Clinical Professor, Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences School of Dentistry University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.